Oil Sands Drilling Engineer Summer Student
A global energy leader with an exciting future
Nexen is an upstream oil and gas company responsibly developing energy resources in some of the world’s most significant basins, including the UK North Sea, offshore West Africa, the Gulf of Mexico and Western Canada. A wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen has three principal businesses: conventional oil and gas, oil sands, and shale gas.
As a wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen is better positioned than ever to realize our central purpose – creating value by responsibly supplying the energy that fuels people’s lives. While ownership has changed, our purpose, values and principle-based approach to doing business, remain unaltered. Our high standards of integrity and governance have earned us a global reputation for valuing the big picture: people, safety and the environment. Your contributions are rewarded with a highly competitive compensation package and a healthy work-life balance, and training that will open doors to your future.
At Nexen, we have new graduate and student employee development programs that accelerate your career and allow you to step in, step up and stand out. During your work term, you will gain practical experience, develop technical skills to complement your academic learning, and gain exposure to future opportunities at Nexen. To be eligible for our co-op student program, you must be enrolled in a co-op/intern program sponsored by an accredited post-secondary institution.
Nexen's technical summer student program is aimed at students studying engineering, geology and geophysics. During this four-month work term, students are assigned specific projects which give them practical business experience and the opportunity to develop technical skills in their designated field of study.
Location & Business Unit Overview
• You may be eligible to receive relocation assistance.
Start Date: May 1st, 2017;
Work Term Length: 4 months;
Eligibility: Bachelor of Science student in Engineering/Science. Students must be returning to their post-secondary institution after this work term;
Number of positions available: 2;
Business Unit: Ops Services - D&C - Oil Sands - Drilling Engineering 1;
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Performance Tracking and Optimization
- Phase by phase tracking of drilling performance;
- Using performance tracking and firsthand experience to develop best practices for operations particularly tasks involving multiple service companies;
- Document and track lessons learned throughout the project;
- Document and assist in implementing solutions to problems;
- Ensure NPT is input into Wellview and track NPT to determine trends/problems relating to NPT;
- Track data, as requested by project engineer, to help optimize performance;
- Ensure that wellbore schematics in Wellview are accurate;
- Ensure all mud checks are accurate and input into Wellview;
- Update drill curves daily and send in to the office before 7am phone call;
- Share drill curves with rig supervisors and crews
- Attend pre-tour safety meeting and pre-job safety meetings;
- Complete cement calculations for every cement job;
- Assist supervisors with casing strap and tally;
- Oversee BOP pressure testing and ensure pressure testing procedures are being followed;
- Ensure and verify well barrier diagrams are accurate for all phases of drilling;
- Be present for the running of CBL logs and review logs afterwards;
- Supervise casing make-up;
- Complete at least one full mud check per week with the mud engineer;
- Complete a weekly operations summary and send it in to the office;
- Assist rig supervisors with day-to-day tasks;
- Create management of change (MOC) documents when work deviates from the drilling program;
- Assist in the implementation of WEMS (digital safety system pilot project)
• Eligible to work in Canada;
• No prior SAGD drilling experience or any drilling experience is required;
• This is an entry level position;
• Individual must complete minimum safety training required to function in a field operations role.
• Strong safety mindset;
• Motivation to achieve and exceed superior results;
• Strong obligation to accountability;
• Demonstrated effective decision-making skills;
• Innovative with “can do” attitude;
• Values feedback as a learning tool;
• Ability to collaborate without boundaries and align with a team to achieve highest quality results;
• Strong computer applications knowledge (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook);
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
As part of your application, please ensure to:
• Indicate if you are available for the full work term;
• Include your GPA and expected graduation date;
• Upload your resume, cover letter, and a copy of your most recent unofficial transcripts as one document.