New Grad - Human Resources
A global energy leader with an exciting future
Nexen is an upstream oil and gas company responsibly developing energy resources in some of the world’s most significant basins, including the UK North Sea, offshore West Africa, the Gulf of Mexico and Western Canada. A wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen has three principal businesses: conventional oil and gas, oil sands, and shale gas.
As a wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen is better positioned than ever to realize our central purpose – creating value by responsibly supplying the energy that fuels people’s lives. While ownership has changed, our purpose, values and principle-based approach to doing business, remain unaltered. Our high standards of integrity and governance have earned us a global reputation for valuing the big picture: people, safety and the environment. Your contributions are rewarded with a highly competitive compensation package and a healthy work-life balance, and training that will open doors to your future.
Location & Business Unit Overview
Calgary, Alberta or Fort McMurray, Alberta
The goal of the Human Resources (HR) New Grad Program is to give HR New Graduates exposure to various areas of the business, thereby developing a broad base of experience and networking opportunities. You will have the opportunity to complete three, 12 month rotations in the following areas:
- Talent Acquisition
- Workforce Planning
- Talent Management
- HR Business Partners
Along with these rotations you will be able to access in-house training courses and a formal mentorship program is in place to match new grads with experienced HR professionals who will help guide career and development opportunities.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- On-boarding new hires; prepare & distribute offer letter packages; schedule & track pre-employment requirements; record invoices & make expense payments
- Support the recruiting process: post jobs; screen resumes; pre-screen candidates; schedule interviews (phone, video & face-to-face); prepare and distribute offer packages
- Assist with the following: prepare & consolidate information for or from workforce planning sessions held with business units; develop communication material; run ad hoc reports; work with raw data, tables, charts & presentation material
- Day-to-day client support including: position change requests; compensation or vacation assessments; respond to inquiries; create job candidate statements; ensure accurate record keeping & payment of compensation elements
- Participate in compensation program design, delivery or analysis; special projects as required (i.e. allowances, recognition awards)
- Day-to-day administration & management of key benefit programs (Health, Dental, Life, Long Term Disability & AD&D) as well as optional programs; respond to inquiries (written & verbal)
- Responsible for maternity/parental/personal leaves, HR Self Service, life claims & retiree benefits; special projects as required
- Explore web based research & summarize findings; analyze data (Excel) & share findings with program manager; prepare or revise program documents (guides, policies, process maps, etc.); draft communication messages
- Build positive relationships with stakeholders; attend stakeholder engagement meetings & record/analyze input
HR Business Partners
- Create employee change notifications; support position change request process; create reports; respond to general inquiries related to HR policies; special projects as required
- Support an HR Business Partner with their client group: participate in general business meetings or project meetings; support HR rollouts; meet with individual employees to answer specific HR questions
Education & Experience
- Students graduating in 2016 or recent graduates (within the last two years) with a Bachelor’s degree in Business/Commerce focused on Human Resources;
- Experience working with an applicant tracking system an asset;
- Experience working with an HRMS such as WorkDay an asset;
- Some exposure to the oil and gas industry would be an asset but not necessary;
- Exposure to SAP, or other integrated computer systems, would be an asset;
- Strong Microsoft software skills (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills;
- Proven high level attention to detail with a willingness to work under tight deadlines;
- Self-starter who can show initiative but knows when to seek advice, and can bring work to a successful conclusion;
- Strong presentation skills and ability to think on one’s feet;
- Must be willing to complete a temporary year rotation in Fort McMurray;
- Eligible to live and work in Canada.
- Click the “Apply for Job” button to start the application process
- Include your GPA, available start date, and (expected) graduation date
- Upload your resume, cover letter, and unofficial transcript as one document