Mechanical Engineering Summer Student - Production Engineering - Artificial Lift OS
A global energy leader with an exciting future
Nexen is an upstream oil and gas company responsibly developing energy resources in some of the world’s most significant basins, including the UK North Sea, offshore West Africa, the Gulf of Mexico and Western Canada. A wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen has three principal businesses: conventional oil and gas, oil sands, and shale gas.
As a wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen is better positioned than ever to realize our central purpose – creating value by responsibly supplying the energy that fuels people’s lives. While ownership has changed, our purpose, values and principle-based approach to doing business, remain unaltered. Our high standards of integrity and governance have earned us a global reputation for valuing the big picture: people, safety and the environment. Your contributions are rewarded with a highly competitive compensation package and a healthy work-life balance, and training that will open doors to your future.
At Nexen, we have new graduate and student employee development programs that accelerate your career and allow you to step in, step up and stand out. During your work term, you will gain practical experience, develop technical skills to complement your academic learning, and gain exposure to future opportunities at Nexen. To be eligible for our co-op student program, you must be enrolled in a co-op/intern program sponsored by an accredited post-secondary institution.
Nexen's technical summer student program is aimed at students studying engineering, geology and geophysics. During this four-month work term, students are assigned specific projects which give them practical business experience and the opportunity to develop technical skills in their designated field of study.
Location & Business Unit Overview
• You may be eligible to receive relocation assistance.
Start Date: May 1st, 2017;
Work Term Length: 4 months;
Eligibility: 3rd or 4th year Mechanical Engineering Students. Students must be returning to their post-secondary institution after this work term;
Number of positions available: 1;
Business Unit: Cdn Ops - RD - Production Engineering - Artificial Lift OS;
Job Duties & Responsibilities
The Oil Sands Artificial Lift team is looking for a Summer Student to assist the team for the summer with Canadian Oil Sands Artificial Lift activities. During the work term the applicant will work on various data and research projects relating to oil and water wells in the areas of data management, integrity and planning. The applicant will receive the opportunity to learn about subsurface artificial lift activities by participating in daily operations meetings and through exposure to the related technologies and service providers. In this role the applicant will be working within the Oil Sands Artificial Lift team which supports the Work Over and Completions and Production/Operations teams.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
• the applicant will work on various research projects relating to Artificial Lift system reliability and data management;
• the applicant will receive the opportunity to learn about various Artificial Lift systems (in particular Electric Submersible Pumps) including participating in the full life cycle management of these systems.
• Eligible to work in Canada;
• Strong safety mindset;
• Motivation to achieve and exceed superior results;
• Strong obligation to accountability;
• Demonstrated effective decision-making skills;
• Innovative with “can do” attitude;
• Values feedback as a learning tool;
• Technical and analytical skills required to solve problems,manipulate data to find correlations and trends;
• Microsoft Office proficiency;
• Previous exposure to down hole pumping equipment would be considered an asset;
• Previous production engineering and/or field operations experience would be considered an asset;
• Ability to collaborate without boundaries and align with a team to achieve highest quality results;
• Strong computer applications knowledge (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook);
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
As part of your application, please ensure to:
• Indicate if you are available for the full work term;
• Include your GPA and expected graduation date;
• Upload your resume, cover letter, and a copy of your most recent unofficial transcripts as one document.