Geophysics Co-op Student - Reservoir Characterization & Modeling
A global energy leader with an exciting future
Nexen is an upstream oil and gas company responsibly developing energy resources in some of the world’s most significant basins, including the UK North Sea, offshore West Africa, the Gulf of Mexico and Western Canada. A wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen has three principal businesses: conventional oil and gas, oil sands, and shale gas.
As a wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen is better positioned than ever to realize our central purpose – creating value by responsibly supplying the energy that fuels people’s lives. While ownership has changed, our purpose, values and principle-based approach to doing business, remain unaltered. Our high standards of integrity and governance have earned us a global reputation for valuing the big picture: people, safety and the environment. Your contributions are rewarded with a highly competitive compensation package and a healthy work-life balance, and training that will open doors to your future.
At Nexen, we have new graduate and student employee development programs that accelerate your career and allow you to step in, step up and stand out. During your work term, you will gain practical experience, develop technical skills to complement your academic learning, and gain exposure to future opportunities at Nexen. To be eligible for our co-op student program, you must be enrolled in a co-op/intern program sponsored by an accredited post-secondary institution.
Location & Business Unit Overview
• You may be eligible to receive relocation assistance.
Start Date: January 2nd, 2017;
Work Term Length: 12 months;
Education: 3rd or 4th year Undergrad, Masters, or PhD Geophysics student;
Eligibility: Student must be enrolled in a formal co-op/internship program with their post-secondary institution;
Number of positions available: 1;
Business Unit: Cdn Ops - RD - Reservoir Characterization & Modeling;
Job Duties & Responsibilities
The Reservoir Characterization and Modeling (RCM) team is comprised of specialist geoscientists responsible for delivering projects and technical support required to execute the core strategy, and deliver annual key results, of the Canadian Operations Division. In addition this team fulfills a crucial role in a matrix based organizational structure as a flexible team of experts ensuring technical excellence, innovation and technical consistency in the areas of seismic reservoir characterization, petroleum geomechanics, structural geology and geomodeling for Oil Sands and Tight Gas/Oil Reservoirs.
- Subsurface Improved Predictability Project (Oil Sands and/or Shale Reservoir):
- Rock Physics and Petrophysical Modeling
- Creation of Prestack (AVO/LMR) and Poststack (Neural Network/Facies classification)
- Integrated G&G interpretation
- Carry out detailed mapping on 3D and 2D seismic data, analyzing seismic attributes, and preparing detailed structural, stratigraphic, and amplitude maps;
- Enhance sequence stratigraphic and depositional models for the basin through use of regional interpretation skills integrating 2D, 3D and/or microseismic data sets;
- Apply diverse geophysical techniques in coordination with geological and geomechanical expertise to provide support for structural, stratigraphic and rock property interpretations;
- Apply advanced processing and interpretation techniques to data, including depth conversion, multi attribute and rock property analysis, PS data and 4D seismic methods;
- Work closely with other geophysicists to ensure consistent mapping methods; to interpret facies distributions and potential reservoir rock;
- Keep up to date on current geophysical technology that may be beneficial for Oil Sands/Shale;
- Document workflow and present a final report on findings
• Eligible to work in Canada;
• Strong safety mindset;
• Strong critical thinking skills;
• Familiarity with multi-attribute analysis;
• Familiarity with seismic modeling, AVO, inversion, microseismic, 4D;
• Ability to prioritize effectively;
• Demonstrated ability to work in an integrated team environment;
• Effective oral and written communication skills;
• Proven ability to undertake independent work and follow through on commitments;
• Motivation to achieve and exceed superior results;
• Strong obligation to accountability;
• Demonstrated effective decision-making skills;
• Innovative with “can do” attitude;
• Values feedback as a learning tool;
• Ability to collaborate without boundaries and align with a team to achieve highest quality results;
• Strong computer applications knowledge (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook);
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
• Experience in working in integrated geoscience software: Petrel, Hampson-Russell considered an asset.
As part of your application, please ensure to:
• Indicate if you are enrolled in a co-op or internship program;
• Include your co-op coordinator's contact information (name, email, phone);
• Indicate if you are available for the full work term;
• Include your GPA and expected graduation date;
• Upload your resume, cover letter, and a copy of your most recent unofficial transcripts as one document.