Finance Summer Student
A global energy leader with an exciting future
Nexen is an upstream oil and gas company responsibly developing energy resources in some of the world’s most significant basins, including the UK North Sea, offshore West Africa, the Gulf of Mexico and Western Canada. A wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen has three principal businesses: conventional oil and gas, oil sands, and shale gas.
As a wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen is better positioned than ever to realize our central purpose – creating value by responsibly supplying the energy that fuels people’s lives. While ownership has changed, our purpose, values and principle-based approach to doing business, remain unaltered. Our high standards of integrity and governance have earned us a global reputation for valuing the big picture: people, safety and the environment. Your contributions are rewarded with a highly competitive compensation package and a healthy work-life balance, and training that will open doors to your future.
At Nexen, we have new graduate and student employee development programs that accelerate your career and allow you to step in, step up and stand out. During your work term, you will gain practical experience, develop technical skills to complement your academic learning, and gain exposure to future opportunities at Nexen. To be eligible for our co-op student program, you must be enrolled in a co-op/intern program sponsored by an accredited post-secondary institution.
Nexen's technical summer student program is aimed at students studying engineering, geology and geophysics. During this four-month work term, students are assigned specific projects which give them practical business experience and the opportunity to develop technical skills in their designated field of study.
Location & Business Unit Overview
• You may be eligible to receive relocation assistance.
Start Date: May 2nd, 2017;
Work Term Length: 4 months;
Eligibility: 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year Finance student. Students must be returning to their post-secondary institution after this work term;
Number of positions available: 2;
Business Unit: Ops Services - E&C - Project Controls;
Job Duties & Responsibilities
This summer student will be integrated into the Project Controls teams supporting the Gas and Power business. They will assist in functions related to Cost and Schedule analysis. This individual will report directly to the Project Controls Lead in Gas and Power projects:
• Assisting with compiling manual commitment register and validating coding;
• Assisting with compiling and analyzing contract incurred cost reports;
• Assisting with Change Order Management in the projects;
• Assisting with maintaining, report generation, and analysis with Prism Project Manager Cost reporting software;
• Assisting with validating coding on invoices, Cost and Schedule estimates from Contractors;
• Assisting with Project Close out and related analysis activities;
• Day to day work will involve adhoc analysis using excel
• Eligible to work in Canada;
• Strong safety mindset;
• Motivation to achieve and exceed superior results;
• Strong obligation to accountability;
• Demonstrated effective decision-making skills;
• Innovative with “can do” attitude;
• Values feedback as a learning tool;
• Ability to collaborate without boundaries and align with a team to achieve highest quality results;
• Strong computer applications knowledge (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook);
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
As part of your application, please ensure to:
• Indicate if you are available for the full work term;
• Include your GPA and expected graduation date;
• Upload your resume, cover letter, and a copy of your most recent unofficial transcripts as one document.