2017 New Grad - Geophysicist In Training
A global energy leader with an exciting future
Nexen is responsibly developing energy resources in some of the world’s most significant basins including the UK North Sea, Western Canada, the United States and offshore West Africa. As a wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen has three principal businesses: conventional oil and gas, oil sands, and shale gas.
At Nexen, our culture of accountability is key to delivering superior results. Underpinning this culture is a set of beliefs that drive company-wide behaviours around safety, collaboration, innovation and striving to exceed expectations every day. If you share these values, we want you to join our team.
With a robust portfolio of assets, we need high-performing employees who strive for continuous improvement and the chance to share in our future success. Your valued contributions are rewarded with a competitive compensation and benefits package including training that will open doors to your future.
New and recent graduates in geosciences have the opportunity to join Nexen as part of the Technical Canada New Grad Program. This three year development program allows Geophysics New Grads to experience diverse areas of our operations through rotational assignments. Combined with targeted training, technical and career mentoring, you will have the tools you need to build a successful long-term career at Nexen.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
As a Geophysics New Grad, you will complete three rotational assignments across various Nexen divisions or asset teams over a three year period.
To gain an in-depth understanding of our operations, we encourage one of your rotational assignments to be in a field location.
You will accelerate your development, increase your technical skills and make meaningful contributions from the day you start at Nexen. Reporting to a senior technical professional, you will gain valuable experience by working in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary business team.
Job responsibilities may include:
- Preparing geophysical evaluations for hydrocarbon exploration and development through data acquisition, data processing and interpretation ensuring collaboration and data integration from a fully integrated asset team.
- Interpretation and mapping of 2D and/or 3D seismic data using a geophysical workstation;
- Ability to work both independently and with geologists and engineers in a team-oriented environment;
- Identify drilling locations, new prospects, document and present results to management for approval;
- Actively participate in field training and workshops as requested.
- Project work as required.
Education & Experience
- Students graduating prior to September 2017 or recent graduates (within the past two years) with a Bachelor of Science in Geophysics or Bachelor of Engineering specializing in Geophysics. Individuals with post-graduate degrees are encouraged to apply;
- Exposure to the oil and gas industry would be a definite asset (through Summer Student positions or Co-op programs);
- Exploration and/or development experience would be an asset;
- Exposure to Interpretation software (Petrel, Geoframe, Decision Space, Hampson Russell) would be an asset.
PLEASE INDICATE YOUR GPA AND RATING SCALE (I.E. GPA OF 3.5 OUT OF 4) WHEN APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION.
INCLUDE A COVER LETTER AS THE FIRST PAGE OF YOUR RESUME IN ONE WORD DOCUMENT.