2017 New Grad - Geologist In Training
A global energy leader with an exciting future
Nexen is responsibly developing energy resources in some of the world’s most significant basins including the UK North Sea, Western Canada, the United States and offshore West Africa. As a wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen has three principal businesses: conventional oil and gas, oil sands, and shale gas.
At Nexen, our culture of accountability is key to delivering superior results. Underpinning this culture is a set of beliefs that drive company-wide behaviours around safety, collaboration, innovation and striving to exceed expectations every day. If you share these values, we want you to join our team.
With a robust portfolio of assets, we need high-performing employees who strive for continuous improvement and the chance to share in our future success. Your valued contributions are rewarded with a competitive compensation and benefits package including training that will open doors to your future.
New and recent graduates in geosciences have the opportunity to join Nexen as part of the Technical Canada New Grad Program. This three year development program allows Geology New Grads to experience several areas of our operations through rotational assignments. Combined with targeted training, technical and career mentoring, you will have the tools you need to build a successful long-term career at Nexen.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
As a Geology New Grad, you will complete three rotational assignments across various Nexen divisions or asset teams over a three year period.
To gain an in-depth understanding of our operations, we encourage one of your rotational assignments will be in a field location.
You will accelerate your development, increase your technical skills and make meaningful contributions from the day you start at Nexen. Reporting to a senior technical professional, you will gain valuable experience by working in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary business team.
Job responsibilities may include:
- Preparing geological evaluations for hydrocarbon exploration and development by analyzing and integrating well logs, cores and other geological and petrophysical information;
- Working with experienced geoscientists to prepare geological maps and cross sections;
- Utilizing your skills, initiative and ability to work independently and as part of a team on geological projects;
- Documenting and presenting results to management for approval.
Education & Experience
- Students graduating in 2016 and recent graduates (within the past two years) with a Bachelor of Science in Geology. Individuals with post graduate degrees are encouraged to apply;
- Exposure to the oil and gas industry would be a definite asset (through Summer Student positions or Co-op programs);
- Exploration and/or development experience would be an asset;
- Exposure to Accumap, Geolog, Geographix, Geoframe and/or other integrated computer systems, would be an asset;
- Microsoft software skills (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
- Include your GPA and (expected) graduation date
- Upload your resume and cover letter as one document