2017 New Grad - EPDP Accounting
A global energy leader with an exciting future
Nexen is an upstream oil and gas company responsibly developing energy resources in some of the world’s most significant basins, including the UK North Sea, offshore West Africa, the Gulf of Mexico and Western Canada. A wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen has three principal businesses: conventional oil and gas, oil sands, and shale gas.
As a wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen is better positioned than ever to realize our central purpose – creating value by responsibly supplying the energy that fuels people’s lives. While ownership has changed, our purpose, values and principle-based approach to doing business, remain unaltered. Our high standards of integrity and governance have earned us a global reputation for valuing the big picture: people, safety and the environment. Your contributions are rewarded with a highly competitive compensation package and a healthy work-life balance, and training that will open doors to your future.
At Nexen, the Early Professional Development Program in Accounting will accelerate your career and allow you to step in, step up and stand out. These paid work terms lasting three years enable students to develop technical skills to complement their academic learning. Students, recruited from both universities and colleges, not only meet Nexen’s short-term needs, but provide a potential source of future full-time employees.
First approved as a CA Training Office in 2008, we have transitioned as a result of the unification of the Canadian Accounting Profession to a CPA Training Office and are committed to providing the experience and educational support needed to satisfy program requirements.
Nexen's Finance Division is seeking business/commerce students to join us through our tailored Early Professional Development Program. As a successful candidate, this will be your first career position, whereby you will be supported by a mentor and will have the opportunity to undertake three one-year rotations, providing you with a broad range of development in a variety of different accounting areas.
We are proud to offer the following:
- A corporate culture that expects our Accountants to be strategic partners for the businesses they support. You will learn the oil and gas business whether you are a member of the Canadian or Corporate teams. You will support Nexen's activities through strategic advice, analysis and the development of key reports through which the financial performance of the organization can be assessed and critical business decisions can be made;
- A diverse company with operating activities in Canada, the US, the UK and Nigeria which provides exposure to US, Canada and International accounting principles;
- A growth company with expansion into new energy development frontiers including Oilsands and Shale gas, which translates into exposure to gathering and reporting project accounting, systems development, budgeting and approaches to evaluating and improving the effectiveness of new growth area risk management, controls and governance processes;
- A best-practice company that strives to continuously improve and to seek out innovative approaches.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
In consultation with your mentor and Finance leaders you will have an opportunity for assignments lasting approximately one year each in three of the following areas over the three-year period:
- Corporate Audit
- Corporate Accounting
- Corporate Tax
- Corporate Treasury/Insurance
- Canadian Division – OPS Reporting & Analysis
- Canadian Division - Project Accounting
- Marketing Finance
The goal of the Early Professional Development Program is to give New Graduates exposure to various areas of the business, thereby developing a broad base of experience for the New Graduate. After the New Graduate has completed three years on the program they will move into their post-New Graduate position.
Education & Experience
Only students graduating before September 2017, or recent graduates (within the last two years) with a Bachelor's degree in Business/Commerce/Accounting will be considered.
A desire to further your education through on the job learning and pursuing a professional accounting designation.
- Strong safety mindset
- Motivation to achieve and exceed superior results
- Strong dedication to accountability
- Demonstrated effective decision-making skills
- Innovative with “can do” attitude
- Values feedback as a learning tool
- Ability to collaborate without boundaries and align with a team to achieve highest quality results
- Strong computer applications knowledge (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Some exposure to the oil and gas industry, would be an asset but not necessary
- Exposure to SAP, or other integrated computer systems, would be an asset
- Eligible to live and work in Canada.