Coordinator, Venture Programs
MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs. MaRS supports promising young ventures tackling key societal challenges in the Health, Energy & Environment, Work & Learning and Finance & Commerce sectors. In addition to helping startups launch, grow and scale, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, commercialization of discoveries and driving ideas to impact.
Introduction to the Role:
MaRS is home to the largest live and online entrepreneurship education programs in Canada including our flagship Entrepreneurship 101 program. As part of our program offerings, we deliver a suite of experiential workshops to help early stage technology and social innovation entrepreneurs with marketing communications, B2B sales processes, pitching, customer development, and business models in a small group setting (www.marsdd.com/workshops). Each year we deliver more than one hundred workshops to thousands of entrepreneurs at 14 locations around the province.
In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to support the growth of small business in Ontario with the latest thinking in entrepreneurship education and the expansion of our growing program to both new and existing partner organizations in Ontario. It’s an expansive job that will see you wear many different hats and work with a passionate team.
What You'll be Doing:
- Help plan and organize the delivery of our programs and events including booking space, liaising with presenters, organizing marketing and collecting event feedback
- Coordinate an annual calendar of events including the organization and delivery of multiple programs per month across the province; current programs include: Entrepreneur’s Toolkit Workshops for our early stage ventures, Everest Program that targets more advanced businesses, and Growth and Scale programs
- Develop strong working relationships with members of the Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs (ONE). Proactively liaise with contacts in the ONE network to arrange logistics and provide updates
- Assist in reporting on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Update the corporate Salesforce.com and My.MaRS databases with event attendee information to ensure MaRS’ centralized database is accurate and up-to-date
- Coordinate and lead inbound and outbound communication activities including social channels like Slack, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook in collaboration with our Communications team
- Maintain organization and smooth workflow between internal and external stakeholders by using relevant project management software and communication tools (Asana, Outlook, Eventbrite etc.)
- Create and manage Eventbrite events with the assistance of the MaRS Communication team ensuring that marketing is within brand guidelines
- Responsible for other administrative duties agreed upon from time to time to support the Venture Programming team
- University or college degree; communications, marketing or business study an asset
- 1-2 years’ work experience; client –facing experience required
- Experience working with Google Calendar, Salesforce, Eventbrite, MailChimp (or similar) and/or various social media platforms such as Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook. Familiarity with project management and software like Asana is an asset
- Proficient in MS Office applications; ability to learn and use software programs (Salesforce.com, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.)
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Highly attentive to details; accurate data entry skills
- Agile learner – ability to solve problems
- Proactive and collaborative team player who thrives on coordinating and interacting with multiple people and on multiple projects
- Manages shifting priorities while maintaining core program responsibilities
- Strong communication (both written and verbal) skills required
- Service minded, with the ability to support and meet the needs of multiple stakeholders
- Strong interest in entrepreneurship and startups
- Ability to take initiative and work independently with minimal supervision while also effectively collaborating with staff and partner institutions
What it’s like to work at MaRS
MaRS is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub with 1.5 million square feet of laboratory, collaboration, and office space connected directly to the Queen’s Park subway stop at College and University. MaRS employees enjoy many perks such as:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, team building outings, summer golf day, and more
- The MaRS softball team, yoga at noon, and discounted gym memberships
- Indoor bike parking and showers
Our mission-driven organization is filled with passionate, smart people who are finding and turning the levers that will move the economic needle of Canada’s technology-based future.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS and why you might want to be a part of something bigger than yourself, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
General office environment with operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.
Applications are due by 6:59 PM Eastern Time on Monday August 21, 2017.