zOS Mainframe Storage & Systems Programmer
Since receiving the Randstad Award for Canada's Most Attractive Employer (ranked #1 in 2015), IBM is expanding its New Brunswick footprint by growing its IT Services Centre.
Through partnership and collaboration, IBM is planting the economic development seeds to help transition New Brunswick into a knowledge worker economy that can positively tackle challenges for the benefit of all Canadians and organizations around the world. Will you join us?
As an IBMer, you can change the way the world works. Join IBM and be part of a diverse and global team of thinkers and doersâ??people who want to make an impact, cultivate their expertise and collaborate with some of the worldâ??s top business and technology professionals. Network in an open, friendly and flexible work environment where diversity is embraced and new, creative ways of thinking are encouraged and supported. There is no better place to launch or further your career.
The role will involve Effectively and efficiently managing data storage by leveraging technology to exceed customer performance, capacity and budgetary requirements and to minimize cost through optimizing storage utilization.
Mainframe Storage Management & Systems Programmer will perform system storage management, including all work related to the technical management of DISK and TAPE subsystems, controlling dataset allocation, backing up of all datasets and other required information and software specified in the customer's Operations Procedures Manual (OPM) and the management of all catalogues associated with these datasets.
The candidate will need to perform the following responsibilities:
- Manage storage subsystems to ensure that sufficient space is available for customer processing
- Work together with Performance & Capacity and Account teams to ensure adequate tape/disk capacity is installed and available
- Manage TAPE library management system
- Utilize disk storage resources in an efficient manner and continuously improve space utilization where possible and practical to do so
- Control all aspects of storage, including initializing and assigning storage volumes to meet service levels
- As directed by the Performance team, migrate data using standard storage management utilities to ensure optimal storage subsystem performance
- Establish, document and maintain storage standards, policies and procedures
- Catalogue management
- Following an approved Change Order, co-ordinate data migration as part of storage technology upgrades
- Archive infrequently used files according to standards established with customers to optimize disk storage
- Provide disaster recovery (business continuation) services for restoring data to a previous level within mutually-agreed time frames
- Document and co-ordinate migration of system and client data for disaster recovery tests and declarations
- Develop, document, maintain, operate and execute backup procedures per OPM
- Assist our customers to develop, document, maintain and execute dataset-level housekeeping and restore procedures.
- Provide recommendations to customers regarding backup and recovery considerations
- Evaluate new storage products and techniques and prepare risk/benefits analysis to support evaluation decisions
- Retain backups in accordance with the OPM
- Monitor and report when applicable storage management metrics
- Provide solutions to optimize the use of storage resources and to exploit new storage technologies
- Provide 7/24/365 on-call support to maintain availability of storage subsystems and processes
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- High level of expertise with zOS main frame environment
- Strong verbal and communication skills
- Willing to work weekends and outside of normal business hours in a fast pace , dynamic and stressful environment
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- The ideal candidate will have many years working in the zOS environment.
Legal working status
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.