WebSphere eXtreme Scale Java Developer - Internship (Markham, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 16 (internship) month work term commencing May 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
The following job responsibilities for WebSphere eXtreme Scale Java Developer include:
Join the IBM WebSphere Development team and help shape the future of DevOps and Cloud Computing!
WebSphere eXtreme Scale is an enterprise In Memory Data Grid application. WXS is designed to provide a highly available, scalable caching solution for enterprise customers and cloud solutions.
The WebSphere eXtreme Scale team has an exciting opportunity for a Java Software Development Engineer in our fast-paced, agile development environment. As a member of an agile development team doing continuous functional delivery, this position will provide exposure to a variety of roles across the software development life cycle, including: design, code development, automated test development, customer experience, and debugging/resolution of issues identified by verification teams and customers.
Our Java development roles involve not only code development, but also unit and functional test development as well as internal and external customer support. Key skills include:
- Proven Java development skills
- Proven problem determination, debug and resolution skills
- Good communication skills, liaising with teams at IBM locations around the world
- Be flexible and adaptable, working across functional areas
- Be a self-starter
- Understand Agile principles, including scrums, milestone and iteration planning
If you are interested in a rewarding opportunity in an exciting, fast-paced work environment, please apply today!
Required Education: High School Diploma/GED
Preferred Education: Pre-University Qualification
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Experience with Windows, UNIX and/or Linux operating systems
- Demonstrates verbal and written communications skills
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Experience developing web-based applications.
- Experience developing Java applications.
- Knowledge of IBM products
- Knowledge of the software development cycle
- Understanding of software engineering
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.