WebSphere/Bluemix Java/Eclipse Software Developer -Intern (Markham,ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 16 (internship) month work term commencing May, 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
The following job responsibilities for IBM WebSphere/Bluemix Java/Eclipse Software Developer include:
You will have an exciting opportunity to gain professional software development experience in Java/Eclipse/open-source, learn and apply agile software development techniques, and work with teams across the globe. The roles may involve:
- Design, development and test of Eclipse-based software application development tools targeting WebSphere server or Bluemix using Java and Eclipse
- Participation in the development and test of open-source components
- Participation in agile software development processes and techniques
- Interaction and teaming with other software developers and testers around the globe
We are a highly skilled team of software professionals looking for additional students to join our software development teams in the IBM Canada Software Lab based in Markham, Ontario.
Working on the WebSphere Application Server & Bluemix tools team will provide exciting opportunity to work in our driven, agile development environment. As a member of an agile development team doing continuous functional delivery, this position will provide exposure to a variety of roles across the software development life cycle, including: design, code development, automated test development, and debug and resolution of issues identified by verification teams and both internal and external customers.
Required Education: High School Diploma/GED
Preferred Education: Pre-University Qualification
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Experience with Windows and/or Linux operating systems
- Knowledge of the software development cycle
- Experience with various programming languages, preferably Java
- Understanding of software engineering
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team
- Demonstrates verbal and written communications skills
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Knowledge of Eclipse
- Proven problem determination / debug skills
- Knowledge of Cloud computing
- Knowledge of Agile development principles
- Object-oriented design and programming
- Knowledge of IBM products
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.