Watson Health - Software Architect - Merge (Mississauga, ON)
Overview: Working under minimal supervision, this person will lead software development activities related to an important framework/toolkit product development for secure web and web service communications. This framework/toolkit has been/is being adopted across multiple Merge Healthcare products to enhance synergies between these products and interaction with services "in the cloud".
The person will be guided by the manager and will liaison with customer technical staff and Merge Healthcare technical/clinical staff to perform the following high-level tasks: 1) Understand new requirements and existing design constraints within the product; and 2) Understand or troubleshoot existing problems within the product.. The person is expected to develop and document requirement specifications and designs for modules, code and implement those designs, and perform developer verification and validation of those implementations according to the Merge Healthcare Standard Operating Procedures. The person is also expected to mentor and provide technical guidance to other team members using their knowledge and experience.
- Responsible for significant portions of overall product architecture and design.
- Sets the overall technical framework for the product and monitors activity to ensure conformance with that framework.
- Perform product development in accordance with Merge Healthcareâ??s methodology and practices; Perform software module requirement analysis, design, and test design;
- Prepare software module specifications, designs, test descriptions and estimates;
- Implement software modules and unit tests and conduct appropriate module testing;
- Detect, report, investigate, and fix product defects;
- Assist with escalated customer support investigations
- Establish guidelines for and participate in the review of product engineering artifacts (e.g., specifications, designs, test descriptions, implementations, tests, records, reports, etc);
- Assist in the preparation and review of product, engineering, and management plans and reports (e.g., program and project plans) as required;
- Under minimal direction, prepare updates to system specifications, designs, test descriptions, hazard analysis, validation test procedures, and related documentation supporting software development to known standards;
- Mentor less senior team members and peer review product artifacts including requirement specifications, design specifications, code, etc.
- Interface with customer and Merge Healthcare staff to gather product requirements, present technical aspects of the product, and understand problems with the product;
- Identify and communicate possible improvements in the work process for customers and peers.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- An undergraduate degree or better in computer science or equivalent discipline or equivalent level of industry related experience;
- 7+ years of related experience in software development
- Strong proficiency with Object Oriented Programming and Design techniques;
- Strong proficiency in .NET and related tools, and knowledge of Java and related tools;
- Knowledge and experience with Service Oriented Architecture concepts and/or Web Service technologies; and
- Hands-on experience architecting, designing and building systems.
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Experience in C#, ASP.NET MVC , Web API, WCF/WIF, LINQ
- Experience with software configuration, build management and issue tracking tools such as Subversion, Jenkins and/or JIRA
- Experience with databases and ORM
- Experience in web services security standards, including WS-Security, WSTrust, and/or SAML
- Flexibility to work in an Agile development model
- Familiarity with Rational Rose or other UML modeling tools
- Experience in software requirements and design engineering skills using a well-defined disciplined engineering process or methodology
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office or other office automation/productivity software tools;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with customer interaction
- Experience in DICOM, HL7, and/or IHE
- Experience in Healthcare Information Systems, Electronic Medical Records, Practice Management,
- Health interoperability solutions
- Knowledge and experience with LDAP and/or Active Directory
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.