UX Designer - Coop (Ottawa, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Ottawa, ON and is a 4 (co-op) month work term commencing May 1, 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
The following job responsibilities for UX Designer include:
- Brainstorm and collaborate with some of IBM's brightest minds comprising of designers, developers and product managers
- Demonstrate a clear pride of ownership and an ability to collaborate with others to meet your goals
- Actively improve scope of knowledge by gathering relevant data through research, testing and interviews
- Create wireframe and interaction prototypes using hi and low fidelity design tools
- Iterate quickly and actively participate in an agile development process within the team to incorporate new concepts and test designs
- Be relentless on quality issues assuring design details are implemented correctly using best practices and meeting the overall product vision
- Continually learn and grow your skills by understanding the user experience landscape and keeping up to date with the latest interaction trends and practices
- Understand how to focus on a job, yet still remember to have fun
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Knowledge and experience with user experience design domain
- Proficiency in a number of UX wireframe and prototyping design tools such as InVision, Sketch, Axure, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with research methodologies, creating personas, user scenario flows, usability testing, task analysis and information architecture
- Exceptional verbal, visual and written communication skills to articulate UX logic and reasoning across disciplines
- Ability to collaborate with a team of designers and work well with cross-functional teams
- Must be highly motivated and enjoy working in a fluid and agile environment with fast approaching release dates
- Familiar with what is possible across platform and devices both in technical and experience terms according to best practices and device guidelines
- Portfolio with work samples and stories
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Familiarity with the interactive design process
- Appreciation of the user's experience when interacting with software
- Ability to collaborate within a multi disciplinary team
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.