Technical Writer - Coop (Ottawa, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Ottawa, Ontario and is a 4 month work term commencing January 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology.
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding.
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance.
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
The following job responsibilities for a co-op student technical writer include:
- update documentation source according to the requirements of the project.
- work with cutting edge documentation tools and processes, including interactive multimedia software, in a single-sourced writing environment.
- apply user experience principles to content design and authoring.
- work closely with other experienced writers as part of a global team.
- be able to work in a fast-paced and changing environment that deals with multiple software products.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- The ideal candidate must have
- experience with writing different types of technical and business documentation, such as online help systems, and user or administration manuals.
- experience with Windows operating systems.
- proven communication, time management, and organizational skills.
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- The ideal candidate should have
- familiarity with creating a multimedia information experience, especially with video.
- familiarity with user experience principles and methodologies.
- previous co-op or job experience.
- familiarity with HTML or XML.
- familiarity with DITA.
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.