Compose was founded in 2010. With a few mouse clicks, Compose produces production grade, auto-scaling database deployments with high-availability, redundancy, automated backups, security and monitoring features, and more. Since being acquired by IBM, Compose is experiencing an exciting period of growth within a leading-edge industry. If you'd like to help construct the foundation for the future of data storage, we would love to meet you. Visit https://compose.io to learn more.
Our customer base is growing quickly, and we want your combination of tech and people skills to help our customers solve problems and get the most out of their databases at Compose. We operate a fleet of various databases, so there's something for everyone: MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, RethinkDB, and likely many more!
If you are a developer, DevOps/SRE magician, or database junkie and know how to help developers with technical questions, we want to talk to you. You will be most effective if you have an inquisitive nature, love to learn, and can read and tweak source code written in a variety of languages. We're not just looking to fight fires, we're looking to prevent them. We pride ourselves in providing top-notch support and guidance, so being able to communicate effectively with empathy and compassion is a must.
This is the perfect position for a smart hacker who wants to gain experience within a great team focused on building a powerful and customer-focused database-as-a-service product. Spending time with our customers and product will let you improve your tech chops vastly, and should be solid preparation for a high-end distributed systems engineering position (we need those too, so if you start on support and do a great job, there is a huge amount of room for growth).
We're a distributed team and we work across many different time zones. If you're a night owl, an early riser, or somewhere in between, we're happy to accommodate untraditional work schedules -- our worldwide customers often need help at odd hours!
Technical bits we hope you're good at (or can become good at):
- Databases: We provide production-grade databases to our customers. Hopefully you've navigated a few, even if it was Visual FoxPro.
- Linux: You'll want to know vmstat from sysstat and iftop from iotop. You should be comfortable with a text editor (vi, emacs, nano, makes no difference) and be able to grep | sed | awk your way through a mess of log files.
- Communication: You should like to communicate with people. Human-focused communication of technical things - it's a delicate balance!
- Creative Problem-Solving: You'll face a wide range of weird, wild problems.
We're excited to see what sort of character will wind up in this role... a few helpful traits include:
- Patience: You'll deal with many crisis-like situations. Being able to stay cool under fire is essential.
- Comfortability Working with a Remote Team: At Compose, everyone is remote from someone. Engineers, designers, support, developers... the vast majority of us work from home. You'll be engaging with your entire team in Slack, email, ScreenHero, BlueJeans, and whatever else works (including correspondence chess on postcards).
- Self Starter: We're an organization filled with people who self-manage. You get the respect and responsibility to operate with minimal supervision and management.
- Accepting: Freedom to fail! Things won't always work out how you plan them to. This is a fun role and should feel that way.
Our crew are deep analytical thinkers, group participants, and tenacious bug-squashers. Sound like you? Talk to us about the engineering problems we help customers with every day. Please apply and share a tale about a prickly technical situation you navigated through with grace.. We'll pass along work exercises so you can get a feel for the day to day work.
We know this is a different process than you're used to, but it's all part of an effort to minimize our own biases as much as possible. If you're the best person for the job, we want to take away all our human filters and allow you to show it. We respect a fancy education or a list of spectacular previous accomplishments, but nothing is more impressive than the right combination of ingredients - which you can objectively demonstrate.
We understand that a complex introductory work sample is a big first request, and so we'll spend as much time as you'd like talking with you to make sure you are comfortable with the process and feel that you're being treated fairly and with respect.
We look forward to meeting you!
Markham, ON or Ottawa, ON. Teams are based at strategic IBM Lab locations and presence on site is required 100% of the time.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Basic knowledge of linux operating system administration.
- Knowledge of databases (what they are, how they work).
- Solid writing skills (English).
- Solid communication skills (English).
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Knowledge/comfort with at least one programming or scripting language.
- Knowledge and experience with various open source databases.
- Interest in databases and data stores, Linux operating environments, Cloud infrastructure and awareness of often-used cloud providers (AWS, Softlayer, Azure, Digital Ocean, Google Cloud), and various open source languages (Ruby, Python).
Must be eligible/legally entitled to work in Canada.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.