Software Performance Analyst - Internship (Markham, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 12 or 16 (internship) month work term commencing January 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
We're looking for energetic, inquisitive and innovative individuals to join the Power Performance team located in the IBM Toronto Development Lab.
Some people just do software, some just do hardware, but you'll have the opportunity to learn both. Join an expert IBM team in the performance optimization of some of the world's most innovative products. You will work directly with leading software developers, hardware architects and performance analysts, doing Java, Scala, Python, C and C++ performance analysis on the most recent software and hardware technologies. We work on cutting-edge IBM and open source technologies such as Spark, Hive and Hadoop and applications of those technologies such as machine learning, stream processing and SQL and noSQL databases. We strive to make workloads that use these technologies thrive on Power systems by optimizing everything from the configuration of the underlying hardware and operating system through code changes in the software.
Main Responsibilities include:
- Apply a wide variety of system- and application-level tools to analyze the performance of complex software workloads
- Install, configure and run workloads on big data infrastructure such as Spark or Hadoop
- Apply knowledge of processor and system architecture to identify performance improvement opportunities in software
- Create and maintain scripts to automate workload runs and data collection
- Transform highly technical material into articles and presentations that may be used by customers or industry analysts to understand the advantages of IBM's products
- Use quantitative techniques to analyze large data sets.
Required Education: High School Diploma/GED
Preferred Education: Pre-University Qualification
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Demonstrated experience with Java or C/C++
- Experience with Linux
- Basic understanding of modern microprocessor architectures
- Experience with scripting languages such as Perl, Python or Bash
- Ability to learn quickly, demonstrated multitasking ability
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Familiarity with big data technologies such as Spark or Hadoop
- Exposure to machine learning algorithms
- Experience optimizing the performance of software
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.