Software Engineer - Internship (Markham, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 12 or 16 (internship) month work term commencing January 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
Required Education: High School Diploma/GED
Preferred Education: Pre-University Qualification
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Experience working in a software development environment, and proven knowledge of software development methodologies and best practices (e.g., git, CI, CD, TDD)
- You have solid knowledge and experience working with open source software and tools
- You have a proven understanding of data management and relational modeling
- You have a basic understanding of the concepts and tools used to handle Big Data (e.g., Apache Hadoop and Apache Spark)
- You are working towards a degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or similar field
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Solid knowledge in UNIX/Linux systems and command-line interfaces and editors
- Experience working with MEAN development stack, Django, or Meteor
- Experience with client-side SPA (Single Page Application) frameworks
- Ad hoc data programming, preferably SPSS, Python, R, Julia, or Stata
- Experience working with relational databases and NoSQL databases
- Experience working with Docker and similar devOps technologies
- Attention to detail
- Fluent English
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Proven interpersonal skills
- Keen enthusiasm to solve problems of any kind
- Quick to pick up new concepts and ideas
- Self reliant, self starter, self motivated, requiring minimal supervision
- Ability to work alone and in a team environment
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.