Software Developer &Tester for Cloud Database Performance (Markham,ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Markham, ON and is a 16 month work term commencing May 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
The following job responsibilities for Software Developer and Tester for Cloud Database Performance include:
You will be involved and become an expert in one or more of the following areas:
- Work on IBM's next-generation high-performance analytic engine, BLU Acceleration, to unleash its full potential for both on-premise and cloud environments, by collaborating with the world-renowned development teams and IBM Research.
- Develop innovative solutions that put together hardware and software products to improve competitiveness and ease of use.
- Advance the automated performance testing infrastructure.
- Produce world record performance benchmark results with large SMP and MPP systems to demonstrate the superior performance of dashDB.
- Develop new tools to improve problem determination and performance data analysis.
- Support proofs-of-concept in high performance environments with high profile customers and projects.
- Share our insights with papers, articles and presentation to forums, webinars and conferences.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Demonstrated oral and written communication, teamwork, and debugging skills.
- Proven quick learner of technology, able to multi-task and thrive in complex situations
- Exhibited creative and lateral thinking
- Experience with C, C++, Java, scripting language (e.g., Perl, Python, shell script, etc), concept and usage of DBMS systems
- Experience with Linux or Unix environments, especially kernel internals.
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Performance testing methodology and tools.
- Administering, monitoring, and tuning skills for DB2 (or other DBMS)
- Computer architecture, storage sub-system
- Virtualization technologies (eg, Docker, Linux Containers, KVM, Xen, VMware)
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.