Software Developer - Content Management Systems - Intern (Markham, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 16 month work term commencing May 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
Students must apply to www.ibm.com/jobs in order to be considered for this position. It is highly recommended to include your transcript (official or unofficial) to complement your application.
Main Responsibilities for Software Developer - Content Management Systems include:
This position is with our DB2 LUW Content Design (CD) Infrastructure and Operations team. The infrastructure team focuses on designing, building, testing and supporting many different web-based applications used by information developers (technical writers) to produce DB2 LUW product documentation. Content is delivered online in the form of multi-language information centers as well as by hard copy in the form of product manuals. DB2 ID Infrastructure team members work closely with their peers who write DB2 documentation. By working together we strive to provide our customers and their businesses with the tools that they need to succeed with DB2 as their database. This position will help enhance your understanding of database application development and will provide you with the skill set required to manage a very large library of files across multiple product releases. Working with translation centers across the world will provide exposure to software globalization processes, and managing Cognos reports to track ownership and progress will provide basic project management experience. This position offers immense growth potential and provides an opportunity to work within a dynamic, highly collaborative and fast paced environment.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Strong teamworking and communication skills
- Ability to work with and prioritize multiple tasks
- Demonstrated skill in Perl, PHP
- Demonstrated skill in relational database systems
- Experience with XML is strongly preferred
- Experience with the Eclipse Help System is preferred
- Understanding of content management systems and software version control applications like CVS
- Knowledge of document type definitions (DTDs, XSDs) used in the software documentation industry such as DocBook or DITA is preferred
- Willingness to tackle difficult problems with creativity and initiative
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.