Software Developer - Co-op (Fredericton, NB)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Fredericton, New Brunswick and is a 4 or 8 (co-op) month work term commencing January 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
The following job responsibilities for Software Developer include:
As a member of the QRadar Integration Services Team, you will be responsible for the integration of third-party events and vulnerability data into Q1 Labsâ?? flagship network security management solution, QRadar.
As a qualified candidate, you must be able to:
- Research the logging/messaging capability of log sources and determine the best method for integrating them
- Collect, analyze, and classify sample log messages and create methods for parsing them
- Work with internal groups to implement, test, and document device support, including processing, alerting, and reporting capabilities
Work independently and with a group of peers; especially cross-functional teams in a development environment
Required Education: High School Diploma/GED
Preferred Education: Pre-University Qualification
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Experience developing commercial software using Java
- Experience with Regular Expressions
- Experience with UNIX/Linux operating systems
- Experience with unit and integration testing
- Problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrates verbal and written communication skills
- Self-driven with attention to detail and quality Additional Qualifications:
- Experience XML, XML Schema and Document Type Definition (DTD), APIs for manipulating XML
- Development experience with relational databases
- Knowledge of security best practices and methodologies
- Experience with a broad range of Java technologies (e.g., JMS, JNI, JDBC, â??)
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Experience with GIT
- Scripting experience using an exhibited language such as Perl and/or Python (additional scripting language knowledge a plus)
- Demonstrated understanding of networking protocols and principles
- Experience in security log analysis, application log analysis, and general log management best practices
- Knowledge of log transport protocols
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.