Software Developer - Internship (Markham, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 16-month work term commencing May 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
The following job responsibilities for Software Developer Intern (16 month) – IBM Spectrum Symphony include:
IBM Spectrum Computing is a leader in cluster, grid, and HPC cloud management software serving more than 2,000 of the world's most demanding organizations. IBM Spectrum Computing uses intelligent workload and policy-driven resource management to optimize resources across the data center, on premises and in the cloud. Now up to 150X faster and scalable to over 160,000 cores, IBM provides customers with the latest advances in software-defined infrastructure to help customer unleash the power of distributed mission-critical high performance computing (HPC), analytics and big data applications as well as a new generation open source frameworks such as Hadoop and Spark. Visit www.ibm.com/systems/spectrum-computing. Twitter: @IBMSDI.
We are currently looking for an individual to fill the role of a Software Development Intern for our IBM Spectrum Symphony Solutions, in Markham, ON.
The Software Developer will be part of a global development team to enhance existing IBM Spectrum Computing technology that will be embedded into IBM products and solutions.
- Interacts with product managers, architects, and team leads from other departments to understand requirements, propose functionality, and translate this into development projects.
- Works with the development teams to create and drive the engineering plan, including detailed design specifications, coding, unit test, performance refinement and defect activity.
- Work closely with customers, customer proxy (i.e. sales, services, support) and internal exploiters to help drive product penetration.
- Prepares and presents technology architecture/design and demos to relevant stakeholders
- Prepares and writes technical documentation, such as content to be included in the product documentation and customer training
- On occasions, will participate in QA activity on peer development projects
Read more about IBM Spectrum Computing and IBM Spectrum Symphony here: www.ibm.com/systems/spectrum-computing/
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Currently enrolled in a Computer Science or related Engineering program
- Must have strong knowledge of C/C++ and Python
- Experience with Windows and Linux/UNIX operating systems
- Strong understanding of the principles of Object Oriented software design and programming
- Experience in working on rapid prototyping projects and developing products/solutions with direct client involvement
- Technical knowledge in software development methodologies, design, and implementation
- Good understanding of entire development process, including specification, documentation, and quality assurance
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Network programming experience, e.g. service/process communication, multi-threading, concurrency is a bonus
- Knowledge of scheduling and workload management technologies such as Platform Symphony is a strong asset.
- Knowledge of Hadoop MapReduce technology is highly desired.
- Knowledge and experience with Java development skill is an asset.
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.