Software Developer - Coop (Toronto, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Toronto, ON and is a 4 month work term for May 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
Main Responsibilities for job title include:
JOB TITLE: Software Developer (co-op)
IBM Sales Performance Management (SPM) business unit is the leading provider of incentive compensation and sales performance management solutions. Our product suite helps companies better manage, measure, and understand the impact of their commission, bonus and variable-based pay compensation programs.
Weâ??re looking for talented co-op students to work alongside a multidisciplinary team of developers, designers and business professionals focused on the next generation of software.
The ideal candidates must have strong technical and critical thinking skills, a passion for technology and software, strong teaming skills and show leadership potential. Must be able to work in a high energy environment and exhibit creative thinking and collaboration. Having the ability to turn ideas into reality, communicate effectively, and work closely with others in teams around the world is essential. You'll use the latest tools and technologies available to deliver state-of-the-art software components.
Responsibilities and Projects include:
- Participating in the entire software development cycle by analyzing, designing, and developing new features and products.
- Solving complex business problems for our world-class client organizations
- Building new software using the latest Microsoft technologies including: Windows Azure, .NET Framework 4.5, ASP.NET MVC, WPF, WCF and WIF
- Opportunities to work with the latest Java-based technologies and frameworks including: Java 7, Play Framework
- Enhancing the functionality, performance, and scalability of our product suite
- Learning and contributing to products on a variety of architectures: cloud-based, RESTFul APIs, client-server, n-tier
- Using web-based and technologies, including HTML5, AJAX, jQuery, KnockoutJS, and Less.CSS to deliver great user experiences
- Using mobile technologies including Sencha Touch and GluJS to build products targeting Android and IOS devices
- Researching new technology and tools to improve our product and processes
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Working toward Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent
- Strong command of Object Oriented Design
- Software development experience using C#, Java, or C++
- Enthusiasm for technology and a desire to build great software
- An understanding of database theory
- Exceptional problem solving skills
- Experience with the software development life cycle
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Previous work or co-op experience on software project(s) is a plus
- Excellent listener and communicator
- Self-motivated, independent worker and strong team member
- Have the ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a driven environment
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.