Runtimes Tooling Developer - Coop (Ottawa, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Ottawa, Ontario and is a 4 month work term commencing January, 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBMâ??s large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
The following job responsibilities for Runtimes Tooling Developer include:
The IBM Runtime Technologies team builds and enhances language runtimes for use both within and outside of IBM. Development, build, and delivery of our runtimes requires extensive infrastructure and tooling and in this role you will contribute to on-going enhancements to the systems that get our software out the door.
Activities in this role include:
- Building and enhancing tools and systems to streamline software development, build, and delivery
- Designing innovative User Interfaces for reporting performance data and project health metrics
- Extending automation and usability of our on-demand, self-service build management portal
- Enhancing and extending our Customer Service management systems and tooling
You will work with a wide variety of technologies and with people at multiple sites, helping us move into a more agile and continuous software development and delivery paradigm.
Required Education: High School Diploma/GED
Preferred Education: Pre-University Qualification
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Working knowledge of basic web programming technologies
- Working knowledge of the Windows and Linux operating systems
- Working knowledge of the PHP and Java programming languages
- Basic understanding of database concepts
- Working knowledge of source code management systems
- Experience developing applications using Eclipse or a similar Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
- Written and verbal communication and collaboration skills
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Knowledge of the software development cycle
- Experience with multiple web programming languages and technologies
- Understanding of software engineering principles and concepts
- Experience with testing software
- Experience with Agile software development
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.