Runtimes Technologies DevOps Engineer - Coop (Ottawa, ON)
Change the world at IBM. There aren't many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available – the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Ottawa, Ontario and is a 4 month work term commencing January, 2018. It is mandatorythat all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
The IBM Runtime Technologies team builds and enhances language runtimes for use both within and outside of IBM. Development, build, and delivery of our runtimes requires extensive infrastructure and tooling. In this role you will contribute to on-going enhancements to the systems that build our software and get it out the door.
Activities in this role include:
- Building and enhancing tools and systems to streamline, simplify, standardize, and further automate our DevOps pipeline
- Integrating IBM's OpenJ9 open source JDK with existing build, test, and deployment systems, both internal and external
- Deploying and enhancing standard tooling to automate the deployment, monitoring, and maintenance of our build and test resources, both physical and cloud-based
You will work with a wide variety of technologies and with people at multiple sites, helping us move into a more agile, open, and continuous software development and delivery paradigm.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
- Basic understanding of DevOps concepts
- Experience with software build systems and technologies
- Working knowledge of the Windows and Linux operating systems
- Working knowledge of source code management systems
- Working knowledge of standard software build tools such as Ant, make, Autoconf, and cmake
- Proven written and verbal communication and collaboration skills
- Working knowledge of basic web development technologies
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Knowledge of the software development cycle
- Experience with GitHub and Open Source concepts
- Experience with multiple web programming languages and technologies
- Understanding of software engineering principles and concepts
- Experience with testing software
- Experience with Agile software development
- Experience collaborating with colleagues at remote locations
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.