Mainframe Systems Administrator - z-OS & z-Linux
IBM is transforming to lead. Join the next generation of innovators, inventors and entrepreneurs who are changing the very way the world works.
"IBM lives at the intersection of technology and business. This enables us to change the way the world works, and to make investments that contribute to Canada's future competitiveness and our society at large." - Dino Trevisani, President, IBM Canada Ltd.
Who we are:
The IBM Canada Software Lab is the largest software development laboratory in Canada. The Lab's IT organization provides high performance, resilient, secure, and cost effective IT infrastructure for multiple IBM Development teams across the country. This includes multiple architectures such as Intel, Power, Mainframe, and others along with key services such as general technical support, private cloud, source code management, IT Security management, storage, network, backups, and more.
Who you are:
You are a keen learner; willing to go beyond books and websites by self-initiating opportunities to gain hands-on experience to test theories. You are not afraid to challenge the status quo and drive change. The quality of your work matters to you as does improving the work of your teammates. You are looking for a career and not just a job. In other words, you want to be an IBMer. If this describes you, let's talk.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Install, upgrade and maintain z/OS & z/Linux systems instances.
- Participate in analyzing, planning and implementing mainframe products. Build on your IT skills and experience to develop mainframe skills including JCL, IPL, TSO, MVS concepts; SMP/E, JES2/3, HCD, RACF, SDSF, Sysplex, USS, Catalog Management, etc.
- Perform problem determination to identify root cause and document findings.
- Implement changes to z/OS and installed software and document changes.
- Work with problem and change management tools
- Understand and implement specific customer requirements
The Mainframe Systems Administrator will work closely with the Mainframe, Network, Data Center and Internal Software Development teams.
This role encompasses many exciting and ever changing areas of support at the largest software development laboratory in Canada. The world's leading businesses run on the mainframe (including 92 of the top 100 worldwide banks, 10 of the world's largest insurers, 23 of the world's largest airlines and 23 of the top US retailers), with 30 billion business transactions processed on the mainframe per day and 80 percent of the world's data residing or originating on mainframe. This is an opportunity to build and develop critical skills in this area where demand outweighs supply.
If you are passionate about automation and supporting the shift toward cloud technologies and are looking for an opportunity to grow and provide meaningful support in a dynamic & exciting environment, this is your opportunity!
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- 6 months experience with Networking Skills
- 6 months experience with Linux Systems administration skills
- Experience with Jave
- Open approach and mindset for learning new technologies
- Fluent in English
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Job Control Language (JCL)
- Systems Management Program/Extended (SMP/E),
- Job Entry Subsystem 2/3 (JES2/3),
- HCD, RACF, SDSF, Sysplex, USS, Catelog Management, z/OS problem management
Must be legally eligible to work in Canada
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.