IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Ottawa, Ontario and is a 4 or 8 (co-op) month work term commencing May, 2017
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
- Should be comfortable working with a source control system and in particular Git (what are branches, tags, remotes, etc.)
- One beneficial language is Java given one of our servers is written using it. An applicant should understand how to write Java code, understand how the Java Virtual Machine (JVM), Java files and .class files work with respect to running an application. Should also be comfortable with several packages in Java such as Files or Networking and also have a working knowledge of Object Oriented development.
- Should be able to describe real development scenarios where each language described above was leveraged, the scope of the project, difficulties, and debugging. Preferred if the applicant can point to public projects and examples showing their capabilities or experimentation with technology (for example their github, bitbucket, google code public page)
- Ability to work with a group of peers and communication skills are also required.
If your skills match what we are looking for, we'd love to have you join our driven and effective team!
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- object oriented development
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Knowledge of IBM products
- Knowledge of the software development cycle
- Experience with various programming languages
- Understanding of software engineering
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.