IT Specialist - Coop (Markham, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Markham, Ontario and is an 8 (co-op) month work term commencing January 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
Are you looking for an exciting and challenging opportunity where you will apply your skills, learn new skills and grow your career?
If so, then read on.
A position is available on the Development Cloud Platform (P-series) Team based out of the IBM Canada Markham Software Development Lab.
We are looking for candidates willing to apply themselves and participate in providing high quality technical support to a wide range of internal IBM software development customers.
The successful candidate should be a self-starter with the ability to learn new technologies and think creatively. The candidate would work closely with our local and national team to provide solutions to a wide variety of problems facing our development organizations.
They will also have the ability to work with leading technologies in Cloud Virtualization, DevOps Tooling, State of the art hardware, and with a variety of custom solutions.
In this role, you will:
- Perform operating system installs/upgrades
- Assist customers by solving their technical challenges by troubleshooting P-Series based Linux/AIX machines
- Assist in the Cloud development/maintenance of our virtual environment across the Canada Labs
- Help maintain our IT security compliance within the team's environment
- Write, maintain and enhance our departmentâ??s scripts to help the team become more efficient and automated
- Racking and cabling state of the art servers in our datacentre
- Special project assignments
Required Education: High School Diploma/GED
Preferred Education: Pre-University Qualification
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Understanding of and ability to troubleshoot P-Series based hardware
- Understanding of AIX or Linux installation, administration and troubleshooting
- Understanding of fundamental OS concepts like memory usage, CPU queues, disk and network device access as they apply to all operating systems and platforms
- Ability to perform vulnerability management duties through application of patches and firmware updates
- Experience with scripting languages such as Bash, Python, and Java
- Ability to manage small projects through to completion
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English (written and verbal)
- Ability to initiate discussions regarding aspects of the overall environment with peers.
- Ability to document designs and current configurations formally in Microsoft Office or Open Office and informally with Wiki entries
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Linux on P-Series/PowerPC platform knowledge is a plus
- Experience with OS level virtualization, eg; Openstack, PowerVM/LPAR, QEMU/KVM
- Experience with Bash, Python
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.