Full-stack Software Engineer - Internship (Markham, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Markham, ON and is a 16 (internship) month work term commencing May, 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
The following job responsibilities for Full-stack Software Engineer include:
We are seeking ambitious students looking for a co-op full stack software engineering position. Joining our Emerging Technologies team will provide you with plenty of challenges and opportunities to improve your software development skills in an exciting and high paced environment. Youâ??ll test, fix bugs, and create features alongside our most experienced developers using best practices and state of the art methodologies. Candidates should be highly motivated, enthusiastic, and able to work under minimal guidance with demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills. Your collaboration and communication skills will be fundamental to the overall team success of the projects you work on.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Experience with Unix/Linux operating systems, command-line interfaces and editors
- Experience working in a software development environment using best practices and tools (e.g., TDD, Git)
- Solid knowledge and experience working with open source software and tools
- Experience with web development
- Experience working with relational databases and NoSQL databases
- Attention to detail
- Fluent English
- Proven interpersonal skills
- Keen enthusiasm to solve problems of any kind
- Quick to pick up new concepts and ideas
- Self-reliant, self-starter, self-motivated, requiring minimal supervision
- Ability to work alone and in a team environment
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- You are working towards a degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or similar field
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Knowledge of the software development cycle (including Continuous Integration/Delivery)
- Experience with various programming languages
- Experience working with MEAN development stack, Django, or Meteor
- Experience with client-side SPA (Single Page Application) frameworks
- Experience with Mobile development (iOS and/or Android)
- Experience working with Docker and similar devOps technologies
- Understanding of the concepts and tools used to handle Big Data (e.g., Apache Hadoop and Apache Spark)
- Experience with data science and data visualization
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.