Front End Developer - Internship (Markham, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 16 month internship work term commencing May, 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
The following job responsibilities for Front End Developer include:
As part of a creative design studio, this role will tackle numerous projects working on IBM software products including tasks such as working directly with core development teams transitioning user interface designs and interaction patterns into working front ends, coding of mockups and prototypes, and integrating design themes and widgets. Projects over the next year will include working on responsive web design implementations for next generation IBM Commerce products as well as possible shorter term projects (proof of concepts, demos, etc.). The role demands experience with current technologies, but also a requirement to investigate and learn new technologies for quick turnaround. You should be a self-starter, creative in your approach to coding specific designs, have a basic knowledge of design principles in order to work with other designers, strong communication and documentation skills and be able to work with a wide variety of people (designers, information developers, developers, product owners, etc.) - both face-to-face and via conference calls.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Experience with web and mobile development tools, technologies and methodologies
- Can demonstrate knowledge of HTML and CSS (HTML, XHTML, HTML5, CSS2, CSS3)
- Can demonstrate knowledge of one or more server-side languages (e.g. NodeJS, PHP, Java etc... )
- Knowledge of Object Oriented programming languages
- Knowledge of responsive web design principles (e.g. responsive range break-points, fluid proportion-based grids, content prioritization, designing for touch, media queries, and content modeling)
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, team based environment
- An awesome and positive attitude
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Ability to generate and optimize web graphics (gif / jpg / png / svg) plus CSS graphic sprites
- Knowledge of web browser compatibility issues and testing
- An understanding of guidelines and standards of web design and development
- An understanding of interface & user experience design best practices for web and mobility devices
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.