Front-End Developer - Internship (Markham, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 16 (internship) month work term commencing May, 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBMâ??s large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
The following job responsibilities for Front-End Developer include:
The IBM Watson Internet of Things (IoT) Design team has an opening for a 16 month student internship. The successful candidate will collaborate with visual and user experience designers to create compelling design, and be responsible for implementing the design prototypes, proof-of-concept or demos of selected projects within the IBM Watson Internet of Things business unit.
Required Education: High School Diploma/GED
Preferred Education: Pre-University Qualification
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Experience with web and mobile development tools, technologies and methodologies
- Very Strong Knowledge of HTML and CSS (HTML, XHTML, HTML5, CSS2, CSS3)
- Strong Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. PHP)
- Knowledge of AJAX, jQuery, Angular & Bootstrap technologies
- Knowledge of Java
- Ability to generate and optimize web graphics (gif / jpg / png / svg) plus CSS graphic sprites
- Knowledge of web browser compatibility issues and testing
- An understanding of guidelines and standards of web design and development
- An understanding of interface design best practices for web and mobility devices
- Knowledge of responsive web design principles (e.g. responsive range break-points, fluid proportion-based grids, content prioritization, designing for touch and content modeling)
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, team based environment
- Demonstrates verbal and written communications skills
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Knowledge of the software development cycle
- Experience with various programming languages
- Understanding of software engineering
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.