Financial Engineer - Coop (Toronto, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Toronto, Ontario and is a 8 month work term commencing January 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
The following job responsibilities for Financial Engineer include:
- Reporting to the Manager of Validation, you will be participating in exciting financial engineering activities relating to quantitative analysis of Financial Risk Management models.
- You will be involved in verifying our model implementation using independent applications tools (such as using Visual Basic, Matlab, C, C++, etc.) and knowledge of financial products to guarantee FE specs are correctly implemented and to assure the model accuracy.
- You will create technical document and validation benchmark for model verification and regression testing.
- You will work together with FE team, Model team, Documentation team and Research team to solve many challenging problems in the areas of Financial Risk Management.
- Your success will be measured by your ability to become a leader in this process, to effectively combine your creative approach with discipline required to assure the quality of model's development and to effectively communicate with other members of the team.
Required Education: High School Diploma/GED
Preferred Education: Pre-University Qualification
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Students pursing Masters degree in Financial Economics, Financial Engineering, Financial Risk Management or equivalent
- Experience with VBA or Matlab
- Understanding of basic financial theory
- Demonstrates verbal and written communications skills
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Knowledge of IBM Algo RiskWatch and ASE applications
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.