Entry-Level Data Scientist
START DATES FOR THIS POSITION ARE MARCH 2018 AND LATER.
At IBM we have an amazing opportunity to transform the world with cognitive technology. By using the vast amounts of information available today to identify new patterns and make new discoveries, we are helping cities become smarter, hospitals transform patient care, financial institutions minimize risk, and pharmaceuticals find cures for rare diseases. Join the forward-thinking teams at IBM solving some of the world's most complex problems – there is no better place to grow your career!
Entry-Level Data Scientists extract knowledge or insights from structured or unstructured data. They draw upon the practice of data analysis, using predictive analytics, data mining, pattern recognition, data modeling, machine learning and various statistical methods in order to solve large scale optimization problems and to understand the meaning behind vast data sets
Entry-Level Data Scientists are in demand across IBM's growth areas. You'll be matched and deployed to a team in a strategic business, based on your offered location and fit. These are office-based positions in IBM locations including:
ON – Ottawa
ON – Toronto
ON – Markham
NB – Fredericton
Opportunities in these locations will vary based on business demand.
What You'll Do:
- You will implement and validate predictive models, and create and maintain statistical models with a focus on big data.
- You'll communicate with internal and external clients to understand business needs and provide analytical solutions.
- You will use statistical concepts such as regression, time series, mixed model, Bayesian methods, clustering, etc., to analyze data and provide insights.
- You'll work in an Agile, collaborative environment, partnering with other scientists, engineers, and database administrators of all backgrounds and disciplines to bring analytical rigor and statistical methods to the challenges of predicting behaviors.
Who You Are:
- You are great at solving problems; debugging; troubleshooting; and designing & implementing solutions to complex technical issues.
- You thrive on teamwork and have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You have strong technical and analytical abilities, a knack for driving impact and growth, and some experience with programming/scripting in a language such as Java or Python.
- You have a basic understanding of statistical programming in a language such as R, SAS, or Python.
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) on a work permit, you are not eligible for employment in this position.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
Must have basic knowledge of statistical concepts such as regression, time series, mixed model, Bayesian methods, clustering, etc., to analyze data and provide insights.
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Willing to travel up to 10%
- Bachelors or Masters Degree
Must be eligible/legally entitled to work in Canada.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.