DB2 Software Innovator - Internship (Markham, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 16 (internship) month work term commencing May 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
The following job responsibilities for DB2 Software Innovator include:
We are seeking innovative students looking for challenges in highly collaborative and agile environment.
Your role includes:
- Using cutting edge technologies to create solutions which will impact both customers and IBMâ??ers.
- Proposing innovative projects to optimize efficiency within IBM Analytics.
- Designing, developing, testing and socializing forward-leaning applications leveraging IBM DB2 along with other IBM products and open source projects.
- Working in a fast-paced startup unit, embedded within the IBM global enterprise. An ability to adopt the agile methodology is a must."
- Combining analytic and social media methodologies in creative ways to accelerate the adoption of IBM DB2 database management system
Candidates should be highly motivated, enthusiastic, and able to work under minimal guidance with demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills. Your collaboration and communication skills will be fundamental to the overall team success of the projects you work on.
Required Education: High School Diploma/GED
Preferred Education: Pre-University Qualification
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- High innovative thinking
- Experience with data analytics
- Demonstrated high social media involvement
- Experience with the latest open source technology trends
- Experience with Linux operating systems and/or Windows
- Demonstrates verbal and written communications skills
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Knowledge of database products (DB2)
- Experience with various unix shells (bsh, tcsh, csh)
- Understanding of software engineering
- Knowledge of the software development cycle
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.