DB2, Data Replication, BigData-Technical Support -Intern (Markham, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 16 (internship) month work term commencing May 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
The following job responsibilities for DB2, Data Replication, BigData - Technical Support include:
- This role specializes in performing and enabling remote technical support of IBM software and solutions.
- Providing technical support assistance to customers using problem determination/problem source identification skills for both defect/usage support Utilizing technical and negotiation skills in collaboration with other support operations/organizations to prioritize and diagnose problems to resolution.
- Communicating action plans to the customer or IBM representative as appropriate.
- Recommending and implementing new, or improvements to existing, technical support tools, procedures, and processes.
- Making timely, accurate and complete updates in Problem Management Record information to document all activities relating to the clientsâ?? reported problems (including issue severity, business impact, troubleshooting actions taken and planned, testing performed and resulting outcomes, issue validation procedures and solutions given)
- Employing efficient workload and time management skills by maintaining awareness of assigned PMR severities and successfully prioritizing related tasks in a multi-tasking environment.
- Recognizing and minimizing client impact by using timely and appropriate escalation processes if new defects are identified, seeking and providing sufficient feedback as appropriate.
- Participating in product and process team training.
- Contributing to department attainment of organizational objectives and high customer satisfaction.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Unix/Linux system administration skills
- Windows system administration skills
- Computer hardware experience
- Networking and Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
- Proven understanding of computers and software applications in general
- Proven verbal and written communications skills
- Proven organizational skills
- Self-motivation and a desire for on-going learning
- Ability to work comfortably independently as well as in teams
- Interest in working with leading edge technology.
- Unix and Windows scripting skills (preferred).
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Knowledge of IBM products
- Knowledge of RDBMS
- Exposure/Adaptability to learning Open Source Technologies.
- Experience with various programming languages
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.