Compiler Optimization Developer - Internship (Markham, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 12-16 month work term commencing January 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
Students must apply to www.ibm.com/jobs in order to be considered for this position. It is highly recommended to include your transcript (official or unofficial) to complement your application.
Main Responsibilities for Compiler Optimization Developer Internship include:
- If you are interested in working on some of the most cutting edge software projects in the industry, consider a 4-month internship with the compiler optimization teams at the IBM Canada Software Lab in Markham.
- IBM Compiler developers collaborate with research, development, performance and functional test teams situated across the globe on a daily basis. They strive to achieve optimal performance on benchmarks, middle-ware, and customer applications running on IBM hardware platforms through identifying and fixing performance bottlenecks. They also influence the design of future generation of hardware and OS/Kernel enhancements thorough collaboration with IBM hardware/OS teams.
- You will be working alongside these highly skilled compiler performance experts on implementing small optimization or architecture exploitation features, performance bench-marking and analysis, debugging and fixing performance and functional defects in the optimizers, and some scripting / tooling / automation work.
- We strive to expose you to a variety of tasks that help you build your general programming skills as well as experience in working on complex global software projects targeting many OS/hardware platforms.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Experience with Windows and/or Linux operating systems
- Demonstrates verbal and written communications skills
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Experience with computer architecture
- Study / prior experience in compiler
- Experience with assembler, debugging, tracing, performance, and additional OS's
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.