Employment Type: Fixed
Reviews all new applications and credit limit increases for completeness and accuracy, analyzes credit worthiness and approves or declines the applicant based on the Company's policies and guidelines, as well as Government laws, rules and regulations.
Products that may be underwritten are Consumer Lending (Secured and Unsecured loans), MasterCard applications and Private Label (Retail Lending) loans.
Principal Accountabilities: Key activities and decision making areas
Impact on the Business
- Maintain knowledge of all applicable internal and external underwriting guidelines by completing all training programs, learning all Company's policies and procedures, as well as all Government laws, rules and regulations.
- Enroll in special underwriting classes and seminars.
- Provide a credit decision based on credit approval authority.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Receive internal and external customer inquiries and/or credit applications via shared system platform and/or by mail and by fax.
- Review credit files and provide timely verbal and/or written responses.
- Process loan decisions and documents as required.
- Discuss decisions with internal/external customers when required.
Leadership & Teamwork
- Actively work towards maintaining and building a Team and support sharing knowledge about the department, business unit and the Company.
- Help coach and train new and progressing underwriters.
- Assist other lending business units as required.
- Participate in monthly meetings, any on going or special group projects and outings.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Comply with all underwriting policies and procedures, making sure all Government laws, rules and regulations are met.
- Assist other Underwriters with questions and concerns regarding the underwriting process.
- Refer questionable applications to the Manager.
- Identify potential issues within the Underwriting process and make recommendations for changes in order to enhance it.
- Ensure that all employees are aware of and effectively identify and manage applicable money laundering (ML), terrorist financing (TF), sanctions and reputational risks.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
- Depending on the position title, follow and maintain up to date Policies and procedures, as well as Government laws, rules and regulations on all products.
- At the experienced level, may conduct required underwriting procedures for more complex secured loan applications by reviewing loan applications/financials for completeness and accuracy, gathering and documenting necessary reports about the applicant such as credit history, income status, title reports, and/or appraisals, and approving or rejecting the application based on credit approval authority.
Management of Risk
Ensure compliance of both general and anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing (AML/ATF) compliance controls as well as operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
Observation of Internal Controls
Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
- A College degree in business or related field, or equivalent financial experience and up to four years proven underwriting experience.
- Strong analytical and communication skills.
- Ability to make independent decisions.
- Proficiency with personal computers and pertinent mainframe system.
- Bilingualism - French and English - is MANDATORY
- Understands / speaks French as well as English fluently.