Employment Type: Regular
- Provide 24/7 support and engage quickly in all customer impacting service issues
- Drive operational excellence achieving this through consolidation, simplification and continuous improvement including but not limited to; monitoring/reporting of service components, automation of recovery processes and identify and implement architectural improvements.
Impact on the Business
- Understand Business production system service objectives, critical process deadlines and internal and external reporting needs to ensure that their requirements and priorities are effectively supported.
- Provide technical support during production incidents to help provide the quickest possible restoration of service. Investigate the root cause and provide/drive service improvements to completion
- Identify and implement improvements to service restoration of Digital services.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Deliver fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets.
- Establish effective working relationships with relevant business, ITID and other support staff to ensure an integrated service proposition for the respective business area.
- Proactive in identifying opportunities to improve service and communicate out to stakeholders effectively.
Leadership & Teamwork
- Motivate and inspire team members, exercise good judgment, competence and courage in decision making.
- Provide technical oversight and direction to ensure delivery of architecturally sound solutions.
- Assist in training and orientation of other staff. Update documentation and share best practice with the team. Participate in knowledge sharing sessions within the team.
- Lead and develop an effective team through communication, performance management, development plans and reward/recognition practices.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Compliance with external regulatory requirements, internal control standards and group compliance policy
- Timely implementation of recommendations made by internal/external auditors and external regulators
- Drive root cause analysis with relevant support teams to understand service performance breaches and mitigate in the future.
- Ensure assessment information is communicated and appropriate service improvement plans are initiated
- Ensure that all employees are aware of and effectively identify and manage applicable money laundering (ML), terrorist financing (TF), sanctions and reputational risks.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
- Ensuring an understanding of the ever changing technical environment and business requirements
- To delivering sustained high quality support of the technical environment in order to maintain service availability
- To maintaining the integrity of services within the Digital environment whilst rapidly enhancing recovery processes, architectural improvements and monitoring within tight timescales.
- The role will operate in high pressure situations with tight timescales of recovery, supporting tier 0 services critical to the bank.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the systems and service level requirements
- Exhibit good communication and interpersonal skills to explain difficult technical information to various stakeholders.
- The role will require close working relationship with other support teams across the globe.
- The role holder will not be subject to close supervision so will be expected to exercise initiative in proactively overcoming obstacles to success.
- The role involves working out of hours on call rota that will include weekends and Public Holidays.
Management of Risk
- Ensure compliance of both general and anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing (AML/ATF) compliance controls as well as operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organisation.
- This will be achieved by consistently displaying the behaviours that form part of the HSBC Values and culture and adhering to HSBC risk policies and procedures, including notification and escalation of any concerns and taking required action in relation to points raised by audit and/or external regulators.
- The jobholder is responsible for managing and mitigating operational risks in their day to day operations. In executing these responsibilities, the Group has adopted risk management and internal control structure referred to as the 'Three Lines of Defence'. The jobholder should ensure they understand their position within the Three Lines of Defence, and act accordingly in line with operational risk policy, escalating in a timely manner where they are unsure of actions required.
- Through the implementation the Global AML, Sanctions and ABC Policies, supporting Guidance, and Line of Business Procedures the jobholder will make informed decisions in accordance with the core principles of HSBC's Financial Crime Risk Appetite.
- The following statement is only for roles with core responsibilities in Operational Risk Management (Risk Owner, Control Owner, Risk Steward, BRCM, and Operational Risk Function
- The jobholder has responsibility for overseeing and ensuring that Operational risks are managed in accordance with the Group Standards Manual, Risk FIM, & relevant guidelines & standards. The jobholder should comply with the detailed expectations and responsibilities for their core role in operational risk management through ensuring all actions take account of operational risks, and through using the Operational Risk Management Framework appropriately to manage those risks.
This will be achieved by:
- Continuously reassessing risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- Ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring, addressing areas of concern in conjunction with Risk and relevant line colleagues, and also by ensuring that actions resulting from points raised by internal or external audits, and external regulators, are correctly implemented in a timely fashion
Observation of Internal Controls
Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- The jobholder will adhere to, and be able to demonstrate adherence to, internal controls and will implement the Group compliance policy by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures.
- The term 'compliance' embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
- The following statement is only for roles with managerial or specific Compliance responsibilities
- The jobholder will implement measures to contain compliance risk across the business area. This will be achieved by liaising with Compliance department about business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators.
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
- Experience in a Technical Production Support Role within IT.
- Strong interpersonal, influencing, communication and report writing skills, interacts appropriately with users of various technical skill levels, remains calm and courteous while working to resolve problems.
- Ability to adapt and understand new technologies.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong technical competencies resulting from previous working experience at expert level within an IT operational or support environment.
- Strong fault finding/diagnostics/trouble-shooting skills.
- Methodical approach to problem solving and attention to detail.
- Proficient documentation skills; able to fully document operational requirements, proposed solutions, processes and data flows effectively
- Effective time management skills; with the ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously requiring experience with prioritizing tasks due to shifting priorities, fluctuating workloads, and deadline pressures.
- In depth knowledge of Java including how a JVM works, how to use JVM diagnostic tools
- Thread/heap/lock analysis, especially with respect to memory leaks, locks/hangs, high CPU, etc
- Good knowledge of application servers. WAS ND and WP particularly.
- Experience of troubleshooting SSL issues. Handshaking, certs, ciphers, mutual auth, etc
- Reasonable understanding of JDBC, LDAP, JMS with WebSphere MQ
- Good experience with ALM tooling such as App Dynamics, New Relic, Splunk and Jira