Employment Type: Regular
- Responsible for providing the fastest possible restoration plan of a failing IT system during production incidents working collaboratively with the Incident Management team.
- Drive a cross functional IT group to improve the pro-active end to end service and recovery management disciplines through continual service improvement
Impact on the Business
- Understand Business production system service objectives, critical process deadlines and internal and external reporting needs to ensure that their requirements and priorities are effectively supported.
- Manage the correction of live issues with minimum disruption to the business
- Produce and maintain the technical strategy for improvements to the end to end service and recovery management. Manages expectations, results and impacts of agreed outcomes, thinking ahead to identify and overcome potential issues.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Deliver fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets.
- Establish effective working relationships with relevant business, ITID and other support leads to influence decisions and ensure stakeholder advocacy using organizational knowledge aligned to business goals and strategies.
- Promotes and prioritises decisions or actions based on business service need and communicates concisely and clearly activities undertaken with the team.
Leadership & Teamwork
- Drive consistent and best in class service, leveraging processes, practices and tools established globally.
- Ensure staff follow appropriate policies and processes to ensure the safety and integrity of the business services.
- Manage staff development, assessment, training, motivation, discipline, welfare, recruitment and retention to promote the highest professional standards within the technical environment
- Lead and develop an effective team through communication, performance management, development plans and reward/recognition practices.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Compliance with external regulatory requirements, internal control standards and group compliance policy
- Timely implementation of recommendations made by internal/external auditors and external regulators
- Drive root cause analysis with support teams to understand service performance breaches and mitigate in the future.
- Ensure assessment information is communicated and appropriate service improvement plans are initiated
- Ensure that all employees are aware of and effectively identify and manage applicable money laundering (ML), terrorist financing (TF), sanctions and reputational risks.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
- Developing and retain highly motivated, high performing staff
- Provide timely, responsive, value for money solutions which support and contributes to the reliability of critical tier 0 services
- Required to meet tight project driven timescales whilst also ensuring the critical service issues are supported and incidents driven to resolution and closure.
- Keeping pace with the speed, volume and complexity of changes being delivered within Digital in a dynamic technical environment.
- Able to prioritize competing demands
- The role-holder may be required to make important authoritative decisions impacting live service provision.
- The role will operate in high pressure situations with tight timescales of recovery supporting tier 0 services critical to the bank.
- The jobholder will be expected to develop a cross-functional IT group to be highly performing in both reactive incident driven issues and proactive project work.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the systems and service level requirements
- Exhibit strong communication and interpersonal skills leading teams to recover stricken services whilst articulating with confidence the recovery plan to senior IT management.
- The role will require close working relationship with other support team leads across the globe.
- The jobholder is required to work closely with business, ITID and other support teams to:
- Ensure critical system service levels are met
- Disruption to business services are minimized
- The role involves working out of hours on call rota that will include weekends and Public Holidays.
Management of Risk
- Ensure compliance of both general and anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing (AML/ATF) compliance controls as well as operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organisation.
- This will be achieved by consistently displaying the behaviours that form part of the HSBC Values and culture and adhering to HSBC risk policies and procedures, including notification and escalation of any concerns and taking required action in relation to points raised by audit and/or external regulators.
- The jobholder is responsible for managing and mitigating operational risks in their day to day operations. In executing these responsibilities, the Group has adopted risk management and internal control structure referred to as the 'Three Lines of Defence'. The jobholder should ensure they understand their position within the Three Lines of Defence, and act accordingly in line with operational risk policy, escalating in a timely manner where they are unsure of actions required.
- Through the implementation the Global AML, Sanctions and ABC Policies, supporting Guidance, and Line of Business Procedures the jobholder will make informed decisions in accordance with the core principles of HSBC's Financial Crime Risk Appetite.
- The following statement is only for roles with core responsibilities in Operational Risk Management (Risk Owner, Control Owner, Risk Steward, BRCM, and Operational Risk Function
- The jobholder has responsibility for overseeing and ensuring that Operational risks are managed in accordance with the Group Standards Manual, Risk FIM, & relevant guidelines & standards. The jobholder should comply with the detailed expectations and responsibilities for their core role in operational risk management through ensuring all actions take account of operational risks, and through using the Operational Risk Management Framework appropriately to manage those risks.
This will be achieved by:
- Continuously reassessing risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- Ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring, addressing areas of concern in conjunction with Risk and relevant line colleagues, and also by ensuring that actions resulting from points raised by internal or external audits, and external regulators, are correctly implemented in a timely fashion
Observation of Internal Controls
Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- The jobholder will adhere to, and be able to demonstrate adherence to, internal controls and will implement the Group compliance policy by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures.
- The term 'compliance' embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
- The following statement is only for roles with managerial or specific Compliance responsibilities
- The jobholder will implement measures to contain compliance risk across the business area. This will be achieved by liaising with Compliance department about business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators.
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
- Experience in Crisis Response and Recovery Management Role within IT.
- Track record of delivering successful, complex technical programmes and projects.
- Strong interpersonal, influencing, communication and report writing skills, interacts appropriately with users of various technical skill levels, remains calm and courteous while working to resolve problems.
- Ability to adapt and understand new technologies.
- Strong analytical skills.
- In-depth understanding of service management techniques including change management and incident management
- Demonstrated ability to rapidly build relationships with key stakeholders and senior management
- Methodical approach to problem solving and attention to detail.
- Proficient documentation skills; able to fully document operational requirements, proposed solutions, processes and data flows effectively
- Effective time management skills; with the ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously requiring experience with prioritizing tasks due to shifting priorities, fluctuating workloads, and deadline pressures.
- ITIL Certified (Expert Level Preferable), or prepared to achieve qualification.
- Experience of ALM tooling such as AppDynamics, New Relic, Splunk and JIRA
- Knowledge of Mulesoft, Cloud Infrastructure and services (AWS, PCF), APIs, Jenkins, GitHUB, Sonar, Selenium