Employment Type: Regular
This role is responsible for providing specialized customer and operational support for multiple product lines and service functions offered by the business. These responsibilities include overseeing daily investment operations (on-boarding new accounts, facilitating account closures, client reporting, client billing, handling trade related issues, ensuring account records are maintained accurately and timely, resolving and escalating issues) of portfolio accounts, overseeing the activities performed by outsourced service providers to ensure services provided are within agreed quality standards and deadlines, liaising with portfolio managers, traders, brokers, custodians and other service providers on trading and account matters, and resolving complex problems or matters where interpretation of policies, internal and regulatory guidelines or processes may be required. Providing subject matter expertise to projects, reporting, contributing to process and control reviews to assess service, compliance and efficiency, facilitating appropriate changes, and handling ad hoc requests.
Impact on the Business
- Facilitate and coordinate the on-boarding of new accounts, includes Know Your Customer (KYC) / Anti-Money Laundering (AML) / Customer Due Diligence (CDD) / Financial Crime Risk (FCR) reviews, account approvals, and operational readiness (accounts properly and accurately maintained in internal and external systems).
- Facilitate and coordinate account closures and maintenance in all internal and external systems, and all other administration and servicing related duties in support of assigned team.
- Monitor the daily trade flows to service provider to ensure trades are sent on time and addressed all issues immediately. Work with service provider to address any failing trades.
- Provide support to the Portfolio Managers (i.e. supply cash projections reports).
- Proper oversight of outsourced service providers and internal control processes to ensure client data and transactions are maintained accurately and timely in source record systems. This includes ensuring timely cash and holdings reconciliation of all accounts, and discrepancies are identified clearly, investigated and resolved on a timely manner. Escalate any outstanding deficiencies to Manager.
- Coordinate and contribute to the evaluation of performance by third party service providers to agreed service levels.
- Investigate and resolve complex issues and problems as required. Be able to interpret policies, internal and regulatory guidelines and/or processes.
- Complete reports, as required.
- Assist with technical problem solving as an end-user for databases and systems used by the team.
- Assist management in training and monitoring service delivery of the team, advising on the correct practices and resolving issues that arise.
- Subject matter expert for operational matters and actively participate in assigned projects.
- Monitor assigned generic in-box to ensure all queries are responded to on a timely basis.
Client Reporting and Billing:
- Review client billing fees for accuracy, completeness, and timeliness.
- Review and coordinate client statements for accuracy, completeness, and timeliness, include reviewing all pricing issues and ensure internal pricing policies are followed.
Governance and Internal Controls:
- Report material deficiencies to upper management.
- Establish efficient procedures and maintain proper daily controls within assigned responsibilities and the department. Ensure all processes and procedures adhere to applicable Financial Instruction Manual (FIM) guidelines and timely update in NAPR.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Build strong relationships by adopting a joined up approach to deliver business requirements at pace and with minimum conflict.
- Build strong relationships with internal customers, service providers, other units within Operations, Compliance and Risk to deliver high quality service to all clients.
Leadership & Teamwork
- Cultivate an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
- Acting as Subject Matter Expert to support the wider business to ensure common and effective solutions are found.
- Use a participative or consultative approach with peers to encourage a positive relationship and to build respect and trust among peers.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Conduct assessments of the operational processes and policies, contribute to process improvement initiatives and make recommendations for improvement.
- Compliance with external regulatory requirements, internal control standards and group compliance policy.
- Timely implementation of recommendations made by internal/external auditors and external regulators.
- Requirement to manage changing priorities and produce high quality daily outputs and provide timely and courteous service to other business units. Ability to work on special projects while fulfilling all the business as usual obligations.
- Obtain detailed knowledge of the various in-house and outsourced systems/applications used by HSBC Global Asset Management Canada (AMCA) in order to maximize effectiveness in handling new requests and resolving problems.
- Make decisions within assigned authorities
- This role provides administrative support to the operations unit within HSBC Global Asset Management Canada (AMCA).
Management of Risk
- Continually reassess the operational risk controls win accordance with HSBC standards and policies by taking into account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology. Ensure all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring and by addressing any areas of concern with line management and any other appropriate department such as Compliance and Risk.
Observation of Internal Control
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
- 1-3 years of experience in the mutual fund or asset management industry.
- Post-secondary degree in Finance or Accounting, or accounting designation.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and Access.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong judgmental skills to identify and resolve problems and make good decisions.
- Excellent organization skills. Ability to prioritize and multi-task effectively.
- Able to work and adapt in a fast changing environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Attention to details and ability to work under pressure and deliver on tight timelines.
- Ability to work autonomously, delegate and plan appropriately, as well as work collaboratively with various groups to drive high quality results.