Employment Type: Regular
There are four (4) positions being hired under this title currently.
This role will work closely with the Audit team to complete audit work assignments, in accordance with the Global Internal Audit (GBL INA) methodology and the Audit Instruction Manual (AIM). Ensuring assignments are completed in a timely and efficient manner with due respect to the standards established by GBL INA and AIM, industry best practices and the relevant risk and regulatory environment.
Accountable for generating the resultant substantive audit documentation and comprehensive reports for all work assignments and supporting Global Internal Audit initiatives as required.
- Undertaking substantive review and applying critical assessment of the effectiveness of controls in place for the identified associated risks;
- Ensuring adherence to HSBC Global Standards and effective compliance with local and regulatory requirements; and
- Providing constructive and definitive recommendations both verbally and written.
Principal Accountabilities: Key activities and decision making areas
Impact on the Business
- The position is primarily accountable for performing general audit work assignments and generating the resultant comprehensive audit documentation in accordance with the Global Internal Audit methodology and Audit Instruction Manual (AIM).
- The position requires the incumbent to have an inquisitive mind and be able to demonstrate leadership in an unstructured environment. Equally important is the individual's ability to act as a strong support in within the audit team.
- Strong organization skills are essential, as the role will often need to manage a number of projects simultaneously and show initiative in completing tasks without prompting.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential as the role is required to accurately and concisely summarize audit issues and present them to Auditee management.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Global Internal Audit
- HSBC Senior Management
- External Auditors
- Deliver fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets
Leadership & Teamwork
- Ensure the timely and accurate completion of audit assignments, including documentation and research, working papers, draft audit issues and reports.
- Develop and support a successful team dynamic.
- Lead and develop an effective team through communication, performance management, development plans and reward/recognition practices.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- As a member of a professional department, the individual will be required to conduct their activities in a highly professional, ethical and courteous manner when dealing with all HSBC staff. This individual will be held to the highest standards of the Bank's Code of Conduct and the Institute of Internal Auditor's Code of Ethics.
- The incumbent will ensure all activities conform to HSBC Group and Institute of Internal Audit standards, as well as satisfying all local regulatory requirements.
- The incumbent will play an integral role in ensuring the effectiveness and efficiency of the execution of the Global Internal Audit mandate and maintaining Professional Standards in work performed due to the high level of reliance placed thereon by the External Auditors, the Regulators and other bodies.
- The position is responsible performing work in accordance with the requirements of the Audit Instruction Manual (AIM). This will include ensuring all work is carefully documented in the Group's Audit Risk and Information System (ARaMIS).
- The position requires the incumbent to professionally organize and execute assigned audit fieldwork, and where relevant manage as well as conclude and close audit issues with Auditee Management.
- The incumbent will be required to critically assess and analyse the effectiveness of controls. This will require the ability to clearly describe, both verbally and in writing, specific control weaknesses.
- Assist with the implementation of Group policy locally: maintain internal control standards through timely action on audit points; ensure employees apply compliance, internal and operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- Emphasize and model human resources and other HSBC polices in order to create an ethical, safe and supportive work environment.
- Maintain and develop skills through the completion of the required hours of relevant training each year.
- Ensure that all employees are aware of and effectively identify and manage applicable money laundering (ML), terrorist financing (TF), sanctions and reputational risks.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
- Many of the activities encountered by the incumbent are non-repetitive in nature. As such, the incumbent must readily adapt to changes and be willing to accept audit assignments with little initial operating familiarity. As a result, the individual will be required to quickly grasp new business processes in order to understand the risk environment being audited. This will often require assimilating and assessing large amounts of information in order to arrive at a qualified conclusion as to issue and risk.
- The position holder must have an inquisitive mind and be able to work in an unstructured environment with minimal supervision. Keeping up-to-date with changes in the financial services industry, and in the HSBC Group, is also a necessity.
- The incumbent may also be a referral point for clarification of issues arising on Bank's Policies and Procedures and regulatory requirements, etc.
- Global Internal Audit utilizes a fully integrated computer application to support a modern risk based auditing methodology in accordance with professional standards adopted by Group. The incumbent will be required to quickly become expert in the full utilization of this software and the risk based auditing methodology deployed.
- The incumbent must have the ability to step back and critically assess business processes to understand key and mitigating controls, while at the same time have the ability to drill down into the relevant process detail.
- This position is based out of the Global Internal Audit function in Vancouver.
- The position requires the individual may travel both in the metropolitan area and out of town on occasion. Out of town examinations generally last two weeks, but may require extended stays of up to 3 weeks at a time.
- The job may require the individual work alone and/or out of the office for extended periods.
- The position may require the individual to manage more than one project or audit while in the office or in the field at the same time.
- Due to the nature of the work and the geographical diversity of the businesses in Canada, the individual may be required to work without direct supervision.
Management of Risk
Ensure compliance of both general and anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing (AML/ATF) compliance controls as well as operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organisation.
- This will be achieved by consistently displaying the behaviours that form part of the HSBC Values and culture and adhering to HSBC risk policies and procedures, including notification and escalation of any concerns and taking required action in relation to points raised by audit and/or external regulators.
- The jobholder is responsible for managing and mitigating operational risks in their day to day operations. In executing these responsibilities, the Group has adopted risk management and internal control structure referred to as the 'Three Lines of Defence'. The jobholder should ensure they understand their position within the Three Lines of Defence, and act accordingly in line with operational risk policy, escalating in a timely manner where they are unsure of actions required.
- Through the implementation the Global AML, Sanctions and ABC Policies, supporting Guidance, and Line of Business Procedures the jobholder will make informed decisions in accordance with the core principles of HSBC's Financial Crime Risk Appetite.
- The following statement is only for roles with core responsibilities in Operational Risk Management (Risk Owner, Control Owner, Risk Steward, BRCM, and Operational Risk Function
- The jobholder has responsibility for overseeing and ensuring that Operational risks are managed in accordance with the Group Standards Manual, Risk FIM, & relevant guidelines & standards. The jobholder should comply with the detailed expectations and responsibilities for their core role in operational risk management through ensuring all actions take account of operational risks, and through using the Operational Risk Management Framework appropriately to manage those risks.
This will be achieved by:
- Continuously reassessing risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- Ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring, addressing areas of concern in conjunction with Risk and relevant line colleagues, and also by ensuring that actions resulting from points raised by internal or external audits, and external regulators, are correctly implemented in a timely fashion
Observation of Internal Controls
Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
The objective of internal audit is to provide independent and objective assurance to improve the organisation's operations in accordance with guidelines established in the Audit Instruction Manual (AIM). This assists the organization in accomplishing its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, internal control and governance processes.
The jobholder will adhere to, and be able to demonstrate adherence to, internal controls and will implement the Group compliance policy by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures.
The term 'compliance' embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
The following statement is only for roles with managerial or specific Compliance responsibilities
The jobholder will implement measures to contain compliance risk across the business area. This will be achieved by liaising with Compliance department about business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
- Minimum 3 years of proven and broad based risk experience in the financial services industry or equivalent, including Audit and Risk experience related activity or equivalent.
- Enrollment in the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) or Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA).
- Proven ability to effectively prioritize competing demands.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including negotiation and interpersonal skills for dealing with sensitive information and situations.
- Wide knowledge of HSBC policies, procedures and risk management frameworks, including a general knowledge of the Bank's computer systems.
- Ability to understand interpret complex business and risk requirements.
- Strong computer application skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Broad understanding of Financial Services industry.