Business Development Manager - China Desk
Employment Type: Regular
- RBWM China Desk, acting as the ambassador of China RBWM, will contribute to the expedited development of "joined up" initiatives between China RBWM and RBWM Canada. The role will also act as the in-market SME for all PRC matters such as RMBI, SAFE Control, Cross Border Manual, product offering in HBCN etc. through knowledge transfer/group sharing.
- The jobholder will be responsible in overseeing the performance of China Desk deployed across RBWM in Canada market, and make proposal and recommendation to enhance the value proposition and service model to deliver the business objective.
- The jobholder will be working closely with Group International & Cross Border community including the 6 priority markets (China, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, UK and US) in delivering the global international Chinese strategy including international education solution and international wealth solution.
Impact on the Business
- Responsible of promoting China knowledge among internal staff for the China corridor by delivering various roadshows, briefings, etc., on China's policy, macro economy, market trend and China RBWM's capabilities, e.g.
- Refresh and keep up-to-date market intelligence of the competitor landscape in China
- Ensure regular refreshing briefing to frontline staff on products and services offered by HBCN RBWM
- Invite external speaker to share topics interested to International Chinese
- Deliver promptly briefing on the latest regulatory or policy changes in China as well as Canada market.
- Support the China corridor in handling International Chinese customer meetings:
- Managing a participating or engagement model with RMs / frontline staff in serving International Chinese customers upon the request
- Develop training model or sales kits to support internal staff to prepare for meetings with International Chinese customer
- Manage the collaboration tool to facilitate discussion, dialogue and business development opportunities across the priority corridors
- Support the China corridor on Business Development by:
- Engage and work with the distribution /acquisition teams
- Organise customer event for International Chinese customers across markets as well as locally
- Drive the development of business partnership externally (agency, business chamber) and internally (CMB, GPB, GBM) to drive business opportunities
- Drive the implementation of global international collaborative initiatives and cross border referrals with China and Canada corridor for International Chinese, by
- Coordinate initiatives to increase two-way cross border referrals
- Identify the opportunities to improve the cross border referral process / customer experience
- Drive the cross border referrals with China if such need if identified during customer engagement and meeting with International Chinese
Support the global international business initiatives by:
- Manage the collaboration across Group International & Cross Border, Canada market and China RBWM teams to develop/enhance products and services to address the need of international Chinese customers
- Advocacy to promote Group's international services, in particular education & mortgages, and connect customer to appropriate parties and channels
- Collect and offer feedback and comments across markets on initiatives or idea in the design/development of products and services to International Chinese
- Collect customer insight or suggestion to improve our leadership in the priority corridor markets
Customers / Stakeholders
- Coordinate and drive the process of collecting useful data to develop customer insight from the local market which could help facilitate a strategic or tactical solution for the growth of International Chinese
- Support the enhancement of customer experience by collating customer feedback, identifying deficiencies in areas like operational, administrative, processes and competitiveness of products and services
- Deliver fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets.
Leadership & Teamwork
- Demonstrate ability to rapidly build relationships
- Cooperative and ability to work in team environment
- Collaboration with international teams across time zones
- Lead and develop an effective team through communication, performance management, development plans and reward/recognition practices.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Comply the standard control requirements, especially cross border related control requirements
- This should be a non-licensed role and should follow the stipulate local policy of soliciting products and services
- Ensure that all employees are aware of and effectively identify and manage applicable money laundering (ML), terrorist financing (TF), sanctions and reputational risks.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
- The jobholder would have to support the growth of customer number, balances and revenue of international Chinese in Canada market and in China
- The jobholder would help operationalize and optimize the role profile and develop a sustainable collaboration framework for ongoing operation
- The role holder has an indirect P&L accountability to support the Canada team as well as the China team to grow the international businesses for all segments with focus on international parents, students and investors needs
Management of Risk
- Ensure compliance of both general and anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing (AML/ATF) compliance controls as well as operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- Demonstrates clear understanding of the RBWM Cross Border Sales & Marketing Policy and the Country Manual of China and Hong Kong. Maintains awareness of risk and minimizes the likelihood of it occurring through its identification, assessment, mitigation and control
- The role holder will also continually reassess the operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology. This will be achieved by ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring and also addressing any areas of concern in conjunction with entity management and/or the appropriate department.
- The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organisation.
- This will be achieved by consistently displaying the behaviours that form part of the HSBC Values and culture and adhering to HSBC risk policies and procedures, including notification and escalation of any concerns and taking required action in relation to points raised by audit and/or external regulators.
- The jobholder is responsible for managing and mitigating operational risks in their day to day operations. In executing these responsibilities, the Group has adopted risk management and internal control structure referred to as the 'Three Lines of Defence'. The jobholder should ensure they understand their position within the Three Lines of Defence, and act accordingly in line with operational risk policy, escalating in a timely manner where they are unsure of actions required.
- Through the implementation the Global AML, Sanctions and ABC Policies, supporting Guidance, and Line of Business Procedures the jobholder will make informed decisions in accordance with the core principles of HSBC's Financial Crime Risk Appetite.
Observation of Internal Controls
Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- The jobholder will adhere to, and be able to demonstrate adherence to, internal controls and will implement the Group compliance policy by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures.
- The term 'compliance' embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
- The following statement is only for roles with managerial or specific Compliance responsibilities
- The jobholder will implement measures to contain compliance risk across the business area. This will be achieved by liaising with Compliance department about business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators.
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
- University graduate or equivalent
- Excellent track record of delivering business targets, meeting customer needs and improving customer satisfaction
- Strategic and analytical thinking, excellent communication, problem solving, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Embrace diversity, culturally sensitive and enjoy of living and working with a group of people with diverse background
- Able to work independently with limited supervision and guidance
- Strong knowledge and understanding to China and Chinese-populated overseas markets
- Fluency in Putonghua, other Chinese dialect is a plus
- Proficiency in both written & verbal English
- Good knowledge of digital application for financial and international services will be an advantage
- Good knowledge of the international account opening and referral process will be desired