Business Development Associate
Employment Type: Regular
Job Grade: GCB6
HSBC is the largest trade and receivable finance organization in the world, offering a comprehensive range of forward-thinking open account supply chain and traditional trade solutions. The bank has been recognized by the industry's most prominent publications and associations for its strength in combining innovation and service excellence with end-to-end customer solutions. HSBC GTRF serves as a core service provider for Commercial (CMB) and Global Banking (GBM) customers.
The role is responsible for structuring complex deals across the whole range of Global Trade & Receivables Finance's (GTRF) solutions. Key responsibilities include providing technical expertise to Front-Line Business Development Managers, assisting in the structuring of bespoke open account solutions, and ensuring a high quality customer experience. The role holder will build out a team of structuring specialists in the different regions, to ensure a consistent operating model in support of our front-line BDMs.
Principal Accountabilities: Key activities and decision making areas
Impact on the Business
- Supporting their Business Development Manager (BDM), establishing new client relationships and strengthening existing ones
- Provide analytical specialist support to BDM and local BD function with client and business growth focus taking priority
- Aligned to and supporting their BDM, coordinate and communicate new products and propositions to clients
- Work with their BDM Identify potential opportunities in the local market and escalate these where appropriate to cater for client demand
- Assist their BDM to deliver customer base growth, achieve BDM growth targets and maximize the financial contribution of the Trade & Receivables Finance (RF) business
- Support their BDM and broader team to deliver a high quality business development culture delivering superior client solutions
- Work with their BDM to position HSBC as the key Trade & RF provider for top end GBM and CMB through establishing extensive, positive client relationships
- Support the implementation the new channel strategy to increase penetration of new target markets, encouraging eChannel use among clients
Customers / Stakeholders
- Aligned to their BDM help manage key relationships with internal and external stakeholders, developing and maintaining strong working relationships with:
- Internal - Client Services, Country Head of Business Development, Client Implementation, Product and Proposition Management and CMB Relationship Managers
- External - GBM and CMB Market Segment Clients and prospective client and relevant industry bodies
- Work with Client Implementation Services in a timely fashion to ensure an efficient transition process for complex clients
- Collaborate with other internal functions to ensure customer needs are met
- Provide local knowledge to product and proposition development teams when requested
- Foster new relationships with clients and develop on-going relationships to drive engagement and increased customer satisfaction
- Strive for class-leading customer experience by adhering to a consistent selling and relationship management culture
- Deliver fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets
Leadership & Teamwork
- Support achievement of the HSBC vision, Values, goals and culture in personal behavior, actions and decision making
- Take personal responsibility for understanding and agreeing performance expectations, completing the necessary mandatory training and developing the levels of capability and competence needed to be effective in the role
- Contribute to team development, effectiveness and success by sharing knowledge and good practice, working collaboratively with others to create a productive, diverse and supportive working environment
- Lead and develop an effective team through communication, performance management, development plans and reward/recognition practices.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Suggest ideas and contribute to implementing actions that will improve customer service, quality or the way teams and individuals work together
- Adhere to HSBC policy, procedures and control requirements applicable to day-to-day working, exceptional and project activities, and raise any concerns about actual or potential issues promptly, in line with reporting and escalation procedures
- Continuously monitor and gather information from relevant sources to assess potential impacts and identify risks, necessary changes and business opportunities
- Apply policies, procedures, practices and standards to their allocated tasks, taking responsibility for their own actions, to ensure the achievement of high levels of quality, effective risk management and regulatory compliance
- Ensure that all employees are aware of and effectively identify and manage applicable money laundering (ML), terrorist financing (TF), sanctions and reputational risks.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
Management of Risk
- Ensure compliance of both general and anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing (AML/ATF) compliance controls as well as operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organization.
- This will be achieved by consistently displaying the behaviors that form part of the HSBC Values and culture and adhering to HSBC risk policies and procedures, including notification and escalation of any concerns and taking required action in relation to points raised by audit and/or external regulators.
- The jobholder is responsible for managing and mitigating operational risks in their day to day operations. In executing these responsibilities, the Group has adopted risk management and internal control structure referred to as the 'Three Lines of Defense'. The jobholder should ensure they understand their position within the Three Lines of Defense, and act accordingly in line with operational risk policy, escalating in a timely manner where they are unsure of actions required.
- Through the implementation the Global AML, Sanctions and ABC Policies, supporting Guidance, and Line of Business Procedures the jobholder will make informed decisions in accordance with the core principles of HSBC's Financial Crime Risk Appetite.
- The following statement is only for roles with core responsibilities in Operational Risk Management (Risk Owner, Control Owner, Risk Steward, BRCM, and Operational Risk Function
- The jobholder has responsibility for overseeing and ensuring that Operational risks are managed in accordance with the Group Standards Manual, Risk FIM, & relevant guidelines & standards. The jobholder should comply with the detailed expectations and responsibilities for their core role in operational risk management through ensuring all actions take account of operational risks, and through using the Operational Risk Management Framework appropriately to manage those risks.
This will be achieved by:
- Continuously reassessing risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- Ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring, addressing areas of concern in conjunction with Risk and relevant line colleagues, and also by ensuring that actions resulting from points raised by internal or external audits, and external regulators, are correctly implemented in a timely fashion.
Observation of Internal Controls
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- The jobholder will adhere to, and be able to demonstrate adherence to, internal controls and will implement the Group compliance policy by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures.
- The term 'compliance' embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
- At least 1-3 years of experience with global trade finance, services, products and techniques.
- University Degree or College Diploma in business or finance preferred
- Extensive knowledge of the market & market trends, competitive environment and regulatory environment.
- Detailed knowledge of GTRF back and front office area
- Detailed knowledge if Credit & Risk including techniques to mitigate risk
- Broad knowledge of HSBC Group companies and product ranges
- Sales & Client Management experience at a senior level including dealing with senior executives plus a proven sales record
- Proven ability in identifying and meeting customer needs through matching a broad range of products and services
- Strong credit assessment skills, particularly with regard to more complex and structured facilities with an international dimension
- Proven ability to deliver creative and flexible customer solutions.
- Ability to understand a customers business and the fundamentals of running a business
- Good level of business acumen and commercial awareness, including economic, cultural, procedural and regulatory issues
- Ability to interact with business customers at all levels
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact and build relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent time management, planning and organization skills
- Excellent range of communication skills, including written, verbal, and the ability to deliver compelling presentations
- Strong analytical skills