Bereavement Support Specialist
Employment Type: Regular
To provide bereavement case management for relatives/representatives of deceased customers in an empathetic, knowledgeable, appropriate, confidential and professional manner. To maximize customer satisfaction, identify relevant and beneficial service and product opportunities as well as work with a diverse group of stakeholders to facilitate the deceased account management process.
Principal Accountabilities: Key activities and decision making areas
Impact on the Business
- Provide an exceptional customer service experience during a difficult time for HSBC customers through polite, friendly and empathetic telephone inquiries and information services.
- Liaise with a diverse group of internal stakeholders (e.g. Branches, Legal, Compliance, Credit, InvestDirect, MasterCard), situated both nationally and internationally, to provide customers service access to meet their individual needs.
- Develop and maintain the required relevant knowledge for the role in accordance with department procedures.
- Continually seek ways to improve bereavement case management process and customer service.
- Make referrals to and collaborate with Sales to maximize fee income through the identification of quality Wealth Planning and Estate service opportunities that support customer needs.
Customers / Stakeholders
- To provide a high quality service to internal and external customers.
- Working with internal departments/third parties to provide an effective, seamless and joined up service to customers.
- Attention to detail, quickly assimilating and checking information, ensuring quality and eliminating errors.
- Deliver fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets
Leadership & Teamwork
- Ensuring a consistently high standard of customer service is provided while meeting client service and service referral quotas effectively.
- Understanding and working within framework of current procedures and legislation.
- Provide technical assistance to lesser experienced Bereavement Support Specialists in the team/department - sharing knowledge & learning.
- Demonstrate awareness of objectives & take a pro-active approach to achievement.
- Be a role model of expected HSBC behaviors.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Ensure risk/loss situations are identified as soon as they arise and are escalated through appropriate channels
- Knowledge of Group compliance, Operational Risk and SOX (Sarbanes- Oxley Requirements) for RBWM centers
- Awareness of all elements of Operational Risk associated with the role in compliance to SOX for contact centers
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards
- Ensure that due diligence, audit & compliance requirements are adhered to
- Learning points/feedback taken on board – no repeat issues
- Ensure that all employees are aware of and effectively identify and manage applicable money laundering (ML), terrorist financing (TF), sanctions and reputational risks.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
- Responsible for ensuring a consistent high standard of customer service throughout the deceased account closure process.
- Work is moderately complex and specialized in nature and performed under general direction according to established methods and processes.
- Requires industry experience and excellent knowledge of HSBC Group and local regulatory policies, practices and legislation
- Position will provide guidance and oversight to non-routine circumstances and will have designated authority within assigned limits. Requires initiative and independent judgment in completing work, with unfamiliar situations or challenges addressed by the next level manager.
- Problem resolution involves judgment in applying or adapting procedures to address situations as well as searching for precedents or opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Outcomes are reviewed in terms of adherence to general policies, accuracy of methods, continuous improvement, and general efficiency.
- Work is reviewed for the attainment of standards, achievement of targets, adherence to policies, procedures, and timelines.
- Decisions have a direct impact on the functional area, customers and employees within team.
- Work is completed according to well-defined, established procedures involving sound independent judgment.
- Supervisor or manager provides direction for items exceeding assigned authority or unfamiliar situations.
- Role requires ability to effectively handle diverse operational matters and unanticipated events.
- Work takes place in call center environment where systems are available in meeting services quality objectives.
Management of Risk
- Ensure compliance of both general and anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing (AML/ATF) compliance controls as well as operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organization.
- The jobholder is responsible for managing and mitigating operational risks in their day to day operations. In executing these responsibilities, the Group has adopted risk management and internal control structure referred to as the 'Three Lines of Defense'. The jobholder should ensure they understand their position within the Three Lines of Defense, and act accordingly in line with operational risk policy, escalating in a timely manner where they are unsure of actions required.
- Through the implementation the Global AML, Sanctions and ABC Policies, supporting Guidance, and Line of Business Procedures the jobholder will make informed decisions in accordance with the core principles of HSBC's Financial Crime Risk Appetite.
Observation of Internal Controls
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- The jobholder will adhere to, and be able to demonstrate adherence to, internal controls and will implement the Group compliance policy by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures.
- The term 'compliance' embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
Subject Matter Knowledge:
- Prior experience and strong understanding of deceased account management processes and procedures
- Probate and Wills process knowledge
- Strong understanding of HSBC's policies and procedures
- Ability to handle difficult conversations in-person and over the phone objectively and confidently in an empathetic and professional manner
- Exceptional listening skills with customers to assess which stakeholders and HSBC lines of business to consult to meet customer needs
- Experience liaising with a multitude of internal stakeholders to develop customer solutions to enhance customer satisfaction and the deceased account management process
- Strong professional written communication skills that effectively address sensitive customer queries through email while adhering to deceased account management procedures
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate with a diverse range of cultures and communication styles
- Customer focused/driven
- Fluency in a second language (French, Cantonese, Mandarin) is considered a strong asset
- Demonstrates initiative, integrity and business awareness
- Self-starter who produces quality results in a fast-paced business environment
- Customer focused/driven
- Attention to detail – able to quickly assimilate and check information reducing errors
- Ability to quickly identify product and service opportunities to help facilitate deceased account management
- Excellent planning and organization skills
- Ability to prioritize and achieve objectives effectively
- Intermediate to advanced ability with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Experience working with communication templates