Associate - Financial Institutions Group, Global Banking
Employment Type: Regular
Assist and work with the GRB coverage team on HSBCâ??s business development across financial institution clients in Canada. Partner in the growth of Flow and Event revenue across the sector. Strong technical skills to help developing financial models, industry content and sector expertise with focus on building content relevant for Canadian FIG clients. Co-ordination with the product and sector teams globally and a keen ability to support the origination effort of new deals and opportunities.
- Analysis of financial and capital markets information, valuations, financing alternatives, and capital structures.
- Preparation and delivery of proposals to financial institution clients
- Conducting industry research and analysis to assist in the identification and/or analysis of potential or actual business or financing opportunities.
- Developing financial models, including appropriate assumptions and methodology
- Working with product and sector teams in Canada and abroad to develop solutions and content relevant for our financial institution clients
- Building quality pitch books across the FIG sector
- Assisting in the training and development of Analysts.
- Impact on the Business
- Ensure prompt and appropriate response to customer enquiries and internal reporting requirements.
- Participate in activities of all global product teams by supporting projects, deals and day to day activity.
- Attend to client queries and concerns by problem solving and facilitating the process by liaising with product and support areas.
- Develop capability and understanding of all relevant technical input in deal flow, risk metrics contributing to ROE etc.
- Develop understanding of all client product, wallet and strategy and assist in planning process (ongoing)
- Work within a team environment and ensuring a high level of communication between manager and other Banking team members.
- Undertake all required activities as directed by line manager or as agreed in annual objectives in support of the furthering the Global Banking business.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Canadian Banks and Insurance firms and associated wealth and asset managers
Leadership & Teamwork
- Live and represent the HSBC brand; exemplify the five brand attributes of being perceptive, progressive, responsive, respectful and fair, both internally and externally
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Understand and ensure compliance with all relevant internal and external rules, regulations and procedures that apply to the conduct of the business in which the jobholder is involved.
- Work with the relationship bankers on developing relevant content for Canadian FIG clients
- Help developing in depth analysis of the Canadian FIG sector
- Build models on regulatory capital, M&A scenarios as well as associated financing requirements
- Analyse individual clients, build client profiles and help identifying and analysing business opportunities
- Support the relationship team by building pitch books of content driven quality
- Communicate with internal flow product specialists including Treasury, Derivatives, FX, Fixed Income Sales.
- Communicate with internal event/Capital Finance product specialists including M&A, LAF, Infrastructure, and support business development and deal flow
- Support the team on managing the day to day business
Management of Risk
- Ensure compliance, operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
- Observation of Internal Controls
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
- Previous investment banking, private equity or corporate finance experience
- Knowledge of the Canadian FIG sector would be an asset
- Familiarity with treasury and hedging instruments would be an asset
- Knowledge of accounting principles, including financial statement preparation and business combinations
- Excellent interpersonal presentation, oral and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills, including demonstrated knowledge of various valuation techniques and practices
- Ability to effectively operate in a team
- Well developed job commitment, as well as personal flexibility and adaptability required to meet client needs
- Advanced MS Office skills with strong comfort in Excel and Powerpoint