Assistant Manager ORA
Employment Type: Regular
To provide operational and administrative support and quality standards to the RBWM business, ensuring risk elements are identified and mitigated. Overall nature of work is moderately complex and performs activities that are straightforward and similar in nature.
In small–medium community branch and / or assigned spoke or buddy branch this position is expected to oversee and specifically manage compliance and risk related activities, ensuring elements are identified and mitigated for entire branch team (referred to as Branch Compliance role).
Impact on the Business
- Primary focus is to oversee operations, risk and administration within functional area and branch with the objective to achieve a minimum of the target rating on all internal audits/reviews.
- Complete moderately complex administrative support, processing, operational, servicing, reporting and/or accounting-related duties in support of assigned area.
- Provide necessary approvals and guidance within assigned limits to assigned team. Branches with shared Branch Managers will require cross branch support.
- Provide guidance and support for the work of others within the team including supervisory responsibilities such as, delegating work flow, motivating, and following up on and resolving internal / external inquires and issue.
- Oversee and monitor the quality of work and provide feedback on the degree to which operational standards are met.
- Oversee, monitor and perform operations and risk activities such as custodian for cash, combinations, keys, and negotiable securities ensuring procedures and relative records are maintained in accordance with established guidelines.
- Co-ordinate scheduling of staff to ensure proper coverage for the day to day operation of the Branch.
- Search for precedents or opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Communicate and monitor clear objectives and targets as it relates to operational quality standards to the team.
- Ensure compliance, operational and system controls are in accordance with HSBCgroup and local regulatory standards and government regulations.
- Assume role of Privacy Administrator, Branch Compliance Officer, Health & Safety, etc. Where required role will also serve as either primary or backup HIFC Branch Manager.
- Maintains ore complex servicing and support activities such as estates and loss prevention measures.
- Implement operational processes, policies, systems, and practices within the branch that contributes to effective practices and reduced risk.
- Provide quality customer service support either face to face or through an alternate channel as required by the business.
- Demonstrate a customer service attitude and may participate in sales campaigns and assisting with mining sales files, identifying sales opportunities and making referrals where appropriate.
- Act as a change agent and project sponsor for key initiatives; models HSBC's values, sets the cultural tone, and prioritizes business goals.
- Other projects as required.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Identify understand and anticipate customer needs in order to provide effective, efficient and timely customer service and support.
- Act as a primary point of contact for more complex operational inquiries involving internal and external parties.
- Primary HBM role supervises the mutual fund sales business conducted within the branch (approve new accounts and monitor trading activity) and act as the primary point of contact for mutual fund customer inquiries requiring escalation.
- Ensure customer expectations are exceeded in terms of speed, efficiency, certainty and professionalism either face to face or through an alternate channel.
- Oversee, and monitor customer complaints and where possible handles resolution appropriately and or escalate complex or unsual issue to higher levels
- Responsible for training and development in relation to Know Your Client (KYC) processes, policies, activities and reporting on behalf of functional area and / or branch.
Leadership & Teamwork
- Lead, promote and engage inteam-based approach in anticipating and managing customer needs.
- Lead, engage and promote the culture of Treating Customer Fairly in the team
- Provide staff performance reviews on quarterly basis to identify areas for improvement.
- Provide training and development to others as related to operational and risk activities.
- Provide open access for employees and customers to build rapport, discuss issues, and resolve concerns.
- Responsible for overseeing team / functional area.
- Recommend hires or hires appropriately, leverages the talents of the team, identifies potential leaders from the team, and takes corrective action where necessary.
- Participate in business development programs within area of specialty to enhance product knowledge.
- Actively refer customers to other areas of HSBC where appropriate.
- Demonstrate HSBC Group Leadership capabilities and HSBC values and behaviours.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Provide input to Branch Manager to assist with leading and developing an effective team through communication, performance management, development plans and reward/recognition practices. Cultivate an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
- Ensure that all employees are aware of and effectively identify and manage applicable money laundering (ML), terrorist financing (TF), sanctions and reputational risks.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
- Overall work involves mostly straightforward challenges.
- Work is specialized in nature and performed under general direction according to established methods and processes.
- Branch compliance (AML, TF and FACTA) work is straight forward to moderately complex and requires industry experience and excellent knowledge of HSBC Group and local regularoty policies, practices and legislation
- Depending on Branch needs, the following may require cross branch access and oversite:
- HIFC compliance related work requires industry experience, knowledge of HSBC policies, practices and applicable securities legislation and MFDA by-laws and Rules.
- Position will provide guidance and oversight to non-routine circumstances and will have designated authority within assigned limits. Requires initiative and independent judgment in completing work, with unfamiliar situations or challenges addressed by the next level manager.
- Problem resolution involves judgment in applying or adapting procedures to address situations as well as searching for precedents or opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Outcomes are reviewed in terms of adherence to general policies, accuracy of methods, continuous improvement, and general efficiency.
- Work is reviewed for the attainment of standards, achievement of targets, adherence to policies, procedures, and timelines.
- Decisions have a direct impact on the functional area, customers and employees within team.
- May work in call centre or branch environment where systems are available in meeting services quality objectives.
- May be required to work shifts outside of regular business hours in a call centre environment.
- May be required to travel within region to backfill service and support responsibilities.
Management of Risk
Ensure compliance of both general and anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing (AML/ATF) compliance controls as well as operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
Observation of Internal Controls
Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- University / College degree or equivalent work experience.
- Requires industry-specific courses to serve as primary or back-up HIFC Branch Manager. To serve as primary HBM the incumbent requires:
- 2 years experience selling mutual funds
- Registerable as the BM under the applicable securities legislation
- Ability to work independently.
- 2 - 3 years of related work experience.
- Ability to lead and guide othersAdvanced problem solving skills to resolve issues within own functional area.
- Advanced communication and customer service skills.
- Advanced interpersonal skills to support the building of strong relationships with diverse groups of people.
- Advanced knowledge of HSBC's products / services.
- Advanced knowledge of HSBC's policies, practices, procedures and systems within own area. For compliance related function: must have excellent knowledge of HSBC policies, practices relating to compliance and risk.
- Advanced understanding of legislation and regulations as they apply to own area.
- Willingness to be mobile in local area.
- Proficiency in any one of the below courses/certification is an asset:
- Canadian Securities Course;
- Canadian Investment Funds Course;
- or Investment Funds in Canada AND the Branch Manager Course offered by CSI or IFIC; or
- A Branch Compliance Officers Course offered by Investment Funds Institute of Canadian Bankers.
- World Selection Portfolio certification (training provided by Asset Management Canada, AMCA).
- Experience assisting with the performance management of direct reports through a performance management process.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with multiple deadlines.
- Aware of and understands how own area of the business performs (e.g., is profitable, conserves costs, etc.).
- Ability to speak / understand a second language is an asset.