Municipal Engineering Intern, Electrical (May 12-16 Mnth)
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Want to know what we're working on at GE Canada? Visit www.gereports.ca
GE Canada is recognized as one of the Top Employers for Young People in 2016.
To learn more about our Campus program please go to: www.campuscareers.ge.ca
GE - imagination at work
As the Electrical Engineering Intern, you will be joining a dynamic, multi-disciplined environment as part of the Municipal Customer Fulfilment and Engineering team, supporting water and wastewater treatment systems development and design. In this role, you will have an opportunity to work alongside experienced professionals within the field of mechanical, electrical and controls engineering. You will gain exposure supporting the engineering team and assist the greater organization in achieving its goals and objectives as an active participant.
Nature of work:
In this role, your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Electrical understanding of Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs), plot plans, General Arrangements (GA's), and Power and Control Electrical Designs
- Maintaining drawings and providing updates to project team members
- Working with other departments to create a control scheme for large-scale water and wastewater treatment systems
- Participating in design reviews, review of technical documents and manuals, project budget reviews
- Preparation of electrical schematics, panel layouts and Bills of Material for PLC based control systems
- Electrical schematics, single line diagrams and panel layouts using AutoCAD and Promis-e.
- Review, input, of detailed Process & Instrumentation Diagrams, electrical schematics, control panel layouts and required Bills of Materials to suit project scope and prepared drawings
- Review and selection of required electrical components/equipment, this entails liaisons with relevant suppliers and external technical resources for third party reviews as needed
- Maintain & update drawings for all projects within area of responsibility, includes preparation of all required ISO documentation
- Development of controls strategy and programs to operate equipment per design specifications.
Do you qualify? We are seeking...
- Self-motivated, quick to deliver and a team player
- Able to demonstrate a dedication to safety
- Good written and oral communications skills and Ability to effectively present information to project and functional management and to customers, subcontractors, and suppliers
- Ability to synthesize information from different engineering disciplines
- Strong organizational, communication and PC skills are required
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and contract documents
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community
- Ability to document technical information
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Detail-oriented and ability to work independently. Strong problem solving skills
- University degree in course of completion in Engineering (Biomedical, Chemical, Electrical, Environmental Industrial, Manufacturing, Mechanical, Mechatronics, Systems), or equivalent related discipline
- Open to both current students who will be returning to their in-class studies upon the completion of the work term and recent graduates who have completed their studies within the past 2 years.
Candidates are to submit a cover letter and resume. It is a mandatory requirement that you identify your school, cumulative GPA, and anticipated graduation date as part of the application process.
Please note that this position does not provide a subsidy for relocation expenses.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in joining GE.
- Ability to interpret electrical drawings, such as Single Line Diagrams, Controls Schematics, and Panel Layouts.
- Experience drafting in AutoCAD - electrical drafting experience is preferred.
- Experience using Promis-e electrical design software.
- Experience programming PLCs or HMIs, or writing ladder logic.
- Water treatment experience would be an asset