EDC International Business Scholarships 2017-2018
Export Development Canada (EDC) is a Crown corporation with a mandate to support and develop Canadian capacity to engage in trade and to respond to international business opportunities.
EDC has been helping Canadian exporters and investors succeed in global markets for more than 60 years by providing trade finance and risk management services, as well as sharing its foreign market expertise.
Through our Community Investment & Youth Education Program, EDC helps build the capacity of the next generation of business leaders by awarding scholarships to Canadian students with a demonstrated interest in international business.
The EDC International Business Scholarships recognize the achievements and potential of Canadian undergraduate students enrolled in international business degrees, as well as in programs which combine business with environmental or sustainability studies.
- Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Enrolled in a full-time accredited bachelor's degree at a Canadian university, college or cégep (please note that we require a post-secondary institution transcript - not high school)
- Studying business (international business, commerce, finance, economics, accounting, etc.) or business combined with environmental or sustainability courses
- Returning to full-time undergraduate studies for the 2017-2018 academic year
- In excellent academic standing at a current university, college or cégep
Key Selection Criteria
Scholarships are awarded by a selection committee that evaluates applications based on the following:
- Demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in international business
- Clear expression of how scholarship will help pursue field of study
- Academic achievement (as reflected in the transcripts)
- Experience in Canada and abroad (work, internships, volunteering, study exchanges)
- Leadership potential (as reflected in extracurricular activities)
- Strength of reference letter
- Language skills
How to apply
Interested applicants must complete the online application on or before February 6, 2017, 11:59 p.m. EST
The following supporting documents are required:
1. Letter of intent
Please describe your main areas of interest and your proposed career path highlighting any current or past activities that demonstrate your motivation and potential in international business or in international business with an environmental or sustainability focus. (Maximum 600 words)
A clear, scanned copy of your official transcript(s) from all post-secondary institutions (e.g. university, college, cégep) attended, including the most recent academic term.
Transcripts must include detailed information on the grading system specific to your institution.
We reserve the right to request the original, hard-copy transcript.
3. Resume must clearly include
- A list of any honours and/or academic awards
- Professional work experience
- Any experience abroad (work, study, internship)
- Volunteer work, extracurricular activities and/or memberships
4. Academic or employer reference letter
You must include a reference letter from either a professor/ instructor at your current educational institution or from your employer.
The letter must be signed and include the referee's contact information as we may contact them directly.
Please note the International Business Scholarships application process is hosted on EDC's recruitment site, so some of the language is tailored to a job application. Please proceed with your scholarship application.