Account Manager, Commercial Markets & Small Business (Calgary)
EDC is Canada's export credit agency, offering information, knowledge and innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. EDC's knowledge and partnerships are used by more than 7,400 Canadian companies and their global customers in up to 200 markets worldwide each year.
EDC is financially self-sustaining, and is a recognized leader in financial reporting and economic analysis.
The Commercial Markets & Small Business Team is looking for an Account Manager for the Calgary office.
Reporting to the District Manager, the Account Manager is responsible for growing, maintaining and managing a portfolio of small/medium-sized (SME) customers and prospects in the Calgary area.
This will be achieved by identifying and qualifying potential EDC clients, by promoting cross-selling opportunities for current customers, and by coordinating EDC resources to provide predictable product solutions and service delivery to the customer. You will raise awareness of EDC's capabilities in the territory through regular contacts with financial intermediaries and other influencers.
The successful candidate should have prior success as an effective prospector with the ability to cold call, as appropriate, to ensure a robust pipeline of opportunities and be able to clearly demonstrate their ability to close sales.
- Creates business development opportunities in Canada and abroad with small, mid-sized and large enterprises across a spectrum of industry sectors
- Locates, evaluates and recruits potential customers, buyers and qualified leads to ensure a substantive opportunity pipeline
- Develops second-tier prospects for both national and international business development
- Gathers and shares market intelligence across various sectors through external interactions with buyers, banks, exporters and sector associations to develop new opportunities and new services/products customized to clients' needs
- Promotes and sells a portfolio of products, services and/or solutions to current and new end customers
- Identifies, develops and typically closes new business development opportunities
- Builds and maintains effective long-term relationships with assigned customers and partners within a geographic or industry focus
- Builds and maintains effective long-term relationships with key industry associations in Canada and abroad
- Identifies and qualifies potential customers and promotes the full range products
- Assesses export financing, risk management or other needs and matches solution to these needs
- Manages an assigned portfolio of accounts, and develops of account plans for small -medium sized businesses
- Monitors the progression of leads and is involved in transaction facilitation where appropriate
- Executes projects, initiatives and tasks related to the fulfillment of the market coverage mandate
- Develops strategies and plans to ensure full market coverage of the designated territory, integrated with appropriate sector and country strategies, focusing on the medium/large market segment
- Identifies initiatives for senior account managers and advisors in the process of developing overall regional or sectorial strategies
- Undergraduate Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Commerce or other relevant discipline
- Minimum of 1 year (Business Development, level 1) or 2-3 years (Business Development, level 2) of business development experience in international business and/or financial services, or related experience
- Knowledge of best practices in sales and/or account management
- Strong communication skills in English (written and verbal)
- Bilingualism (English and French)
- Business development experience in commercial banking
- Experience as an effective prospector with the ability to cold call and close sales
- Knowledge of bank credit and lending practices
- Knowledge of international business practices and international trade
- MBA or CITP (Certified International Trade Professional) designation
- Business Development 1: $52,000 - $79,000 + performance based incentive
- Business Development 2: $73,000 – 109,000 + performance based incentive
**Please note that we will consider candidates at the Business Development, level 1 and at the Business Development, level 2, depending on the incumbent's qualifications**
How to apply
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: January 27, 2017, 11:59 p.m. EST on www.edc.ca/careers
EDC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates must meet the requisite government security screening requirements.