Account Manager, Commercial Markets & Small Business - Calgary Office
EDC is Canada's export credit agency, offering information, knowledge and innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. EDC's knowledge and partnerships are used by more than 7,400 Canadian companies and their global customers in up to 200 markets worldwide each year. In 2017, EDC has been recognized as a Top 100 Employer and a Top Family-Friendly Employer.
EDC is financially self-sustaining, and is a recognized leader in financial reporting and economic analysis.
The Commercial Markets & Small Business Team is looking for an Account Manager for the Calgary office. Reporting to the District Manager, the Account Manager is responsible for growing, maintaining and managing a portfolio of small/medium-sized (SME) customers and prospects in the Calgary and Southern Central Alberta area.
Success will be achieved through identifying and qualifying potential EDC clients, by cross-selling opportunities for current customers, and by coordinating EDC resources to provide predictable product solutions and service delivery to the customer. You will raise awareness of EDC's capabilities in the area through regular contacts with financial intermediaries and other influencers, while leveraging your network for referrals.
Each day brings new challenges, requiring the best of your skills, ideas and innovative thinking. You'll build relationships with some of the brightest and most talented minds in Canada and around the world as you work together to support the success of our clients.
- Creates business development opportunities in Canada and abroad with small, mid-sized and large enterprises across a spectrum of industry sectors
- Plans and manages time effectively while locating, evaluating and recruiting potential customers, and qualified leads to ensure a substantive opportunity pipeline
- Develops second-tier prospects for both national and international business development
- Gathers and shares market intelligence across various sectors through external interactions with buyers, banks, exporters and sector associations to develop new opportunities and new services/products customized to clients' needs
- Promotes and sells a suite of products, services and/or solutions to current and new customers and closes new business development opportunities
- Identifies and develops in-depth understanding of prospects
- Influences client and prospect decisions by building and maintaining effective long-term relationships within a geographic and/or industry focus
- Builds and maintains effective long-term relationships with key industry associations in Canada and abroad
- Identifies and qualifies potential customers and promotes the full range of EDC products and solutions
- Assesses export financing, risk management or other needs and matches solution to these needs
- Plans ahead and uses time management to maximize the selling activities and attend to sales support duties in a timely and organized way; supporting the achievement of your monthly targets
- Conducts research and various data gathering activities and leverages the corporate CRM, manages an assigned portfolio of accounts and develops strategic account and prospecting plans for small and medium sized businesses
- Diligently monitors the development and progression of leads to support a producing sales funnel and is involved in transaction facilitation where appropriate
- Executes projects, initiatives and tasks related to the fulfillment of the market coverage mandate
- Develops strategies and plans to ensure full market coverage of the designated territory, integrated with appropriate sector and country strategies, focusing on the medium/large market segment
- Serves as the knowledge base and problem solver for the prospect/client; handles client negotiation strategies and manages interactions in a positive and professional manner to the mutual satisfaction and benefit of prospects/clients and EDC
- Identifies initiatives for senior account managers and advisors in the process of developing overall regional or sectorial strategies
- Effectively differentiates and confidently sells EDC's value proposition
- Undergraduate Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Commerce or other relevant discipline
- Minimum 2-3 years (Business Development, level 2) or 5 years (Business Development, level 3) of business development experience in international business and/or financial services, or related experience
- Knowledge of best practices in strategic sales and/or account management
- An existing established network in the Calgary region in support of EDC mandate
- Strong communication skills in English (written and verbal)
- Bilingualism (English and French)
- Business development experience in commercial banking
- Knowledge of bank credit and lending practices
- Knowledge of international business practices and international trade
- MBA or CITP (Certified International Trade Professional) designation
- Business Development 2: $73,000 – 109,000, plus performance based incentive
- Business Development 3: $86,000 - $128,000, plus performance based incentive
**Please note that we will consider candidates at the Business Development, level 2 and at the Business Development, level 3, depending on the incumbent's qualifications**
How to apply
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: June 30, 2017, 11:59 p.m. EST on www.edc.ca/careers
EDC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates must meet the requisite government security screening requirements.